Author Topic: Grouper 1st try  (Read 7020 times)

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Grouper 1st try
« on: April 25, 2015, 12:54:29 PM »
I always enjoy making a meal that is amazing, but thought I would post my results on smoke that I would only rate at about 6, maybe 7 on a scale to 10.

Last night I took my first pass at smoking fresh Grouper. I had four filets about 6 oz. each that I brined for 1 one. Removed from brine, add additional BBQ seasoning and then brushed with olive oil. Place filets and smoked until temp was 145 degrees. I removed from the smoker and allowed to rest for 3-4 minutes. The end result a bit on the salty side and too much smoke.

Next time around, I would use less wood (maybe 1 oz.) and lower salt in brine and only brine for 30 minutes. Still was a good dinner, but my wife said she like them on the grill better. Another thought I had was to only smoke until 125 degrees, remove and then reverse sear on the grill.

Brine:
3 cups water
3T sea salt
1.5 T bbq seasoning
3 T brown sugar

Smoker temp: 220 degrees
1.8 oz. mix wild apple and mulberry

Greg

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Re: Grouper 1st try
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 03:09:21 PM »
I figure when given lemons make lemonade or at least Greek Chicken :)

I took the remainder of the grouper and made Smoked Fish Dip. Turned out really decent, if you are interested I posted the recipe under appetizers.

Greg

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 08:04:56 PM »
I'll bet they would have made great fish tacos too! Oh well, if you don't try you don't learn.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

Barrel99

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 11:40:45 PM »
Hey Greg, next time you might want to try cooking at 190 degrees. I think you will notice a big difference in taste and smoke. Also, see how much salt was in your rub. That could have made it over salty. I always try to use a no salt rub when I am brining fish and very little of that.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 02:38:04 AM »
I agree with your wife, should have grilled it. I prefer grouper on a hot grill with quality lump charcoal, served a toasted bun some Basil-Mayo, sweet onion, lettuce and tomato.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 07:27:03 AM »
Hey Greg, next time you might want to try cooking at 190 degrees. I think you will notice a big difference in taste and smoke. Also, see how much salt was in your rub. That could have made it over salty. I always try to use a no salt rub when I am brining fish and very little of that.

Hey Arnie,

Next time I will try the lower temp, my rub is pretty low salt about 4 percent, I think the fish just picked up to much brine :)

Greg