Author Topic: New guy thinking of a #3  (Read 7470 times)

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: New guy thinking of a #3
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2015, 10:37:43 PM »
Here is a thread that I started on the A-MAZE-N:
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2639.0
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

NJtuna

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2015, 09:59:46 AM »
Yes, I read through that last night. I tried cold smoking the bellies Saturday using A-maze-n and CookinPellets Perfect Mix blend. I lit it up, and ran it sitting on the rails without the smoke box or drip pan. I "had to" run out to join some buddies on a deer hunt. I kept in contact with my son to keep checking for smoke and the internal temp from my Maverick. Well it kept going out. He had to relight it using a torch a couple of times until I got back. When I got home it was just about out again so I really blasted it with the torch and let it flame for a good 5+ minutes. I had constant smoke from then on and an IT around 85 deg. My goal was to smoke for approx. 8 hours but since it kept going out, I had it in there for 12 hours. I bagged them in zip-locks and had them sitting in the fridge since late 11:30pm Sat night. Today my meat slicer will be delivered, so I pulled two out of four bags to check on them. To be honest...They smell way too smokey and kind of sooty. Not a clean smoke. I got nervous I ruined about 10+ lbs of belly so I soaked the two slabs in cold water, flushing and rinsing as best I could. I took a knife and scraped the fat sides, shaving off just the surface to attempt to get any off flavor out. I'll probably do the same with the other two slabs. I'm afraid this batch may be ruined.

Update: After trimming the exposed surface I wrapped it in saran and put back in the fridge for 1 week. Sliced up one section and fried it up and it was very good! I ate about 1/2 lb before slicing all the rest and bagging. Sure glad I didn't give up on it and throw it away.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 10:49:58 AM by NJtuna »
Bryan from NJ
2- Char Griller Kamado's, 22.5 Weber One Touch Gold, Masterbuilt 14" Kettle

NJtuna

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2015, 10:09:08 AM »
I put the jerky dryer on when I got home too for a little while (15-20 minutes). When I came down to check on it, it was smoking way too much and figured it would just ignite the pellets so I took it off. I ordered a variable speed control for the fan, so that might be a good fix in the future.   
Bryan from NJ

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2015, 10:40:35 AM »
I like the variable speed controller idea. Do you have a link for the one you ordered?

I too worried about too much air flow moving through the smoker. I also worried about the fan drying out the meat, but it really didn't in my case.

BTW, my last belly bacon that I smoked, was pretty smoky after 12 hours of smoke too. I let it sit in the fridge wrapped in plastic wrap for two weeks before testing and it was MUCH better, in fact very good. I then vacuum packed.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

NJtuna

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2015, 03:43:40 PM »
Bryan from NJ

es1025

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2015, 07:47:42 PM »
Bryan, thats my town, go figure....
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?