Author Topic: Chili Peppers (Habs, Jalapeno, Serrano, etc)  (Read 3901 times)

Muzikman

Chili Peppers (Habs, Jalapeno, Serrano, etc)
« on: November 06, 2014, 03:06:34 PM »
I have not seen any posts about smoking chili peppers. I bought the seafood rack specifically for peppers. Nothing better than smoked Habanero. I usually don't smoke them dry, as I just use them in sauces, chilli and other dishes.

In the past I used the gas grill with the smoker box and just let them go for a couple hours. They would turn out good, however, with the SI, it  generates a lot more smoke, so I am not sure if they need as much time. I'll be playing around with it...that's the great thing about peppers...they are not expensive, so a screw-up doesn't hurt the wallet.

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for the SI.
Jason - Pittsburgh, PA

McKay

Re: Chili Peppers (Habs, Jalapeno, Serrano, etc)
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 05:21:50 PM »
Just got my 3 so Im not sure yet but you made me add jalapenos to the grocery list! Mmm chipotle!!!

Walt

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 09:30:40 AM »
There are a few posts on stuffed peppers.  I cook these regularly.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 03:55:17 PM »
Jason, I agree with you that there isn't much risk. I would take the same approach as other times you have made these and see what the turnout is. I will say that you probably won't need more than 3 oz of your favorite wood to do it. The SI is a very wood efficient smoker. What temperature are you smoking them at?
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 08:45:59 PM »
If I were going to smoke peppers for cooking, but not dried smoked peppers, I would cut them up first.  Maybe quarter them.  That way, when you smoke them, you'll get smoke outside and in.  Probably only need 1.5-2 oz of wood, as veggies seem to absorb smoke pretty fast.  Then, when they cool, immediately vacuum-pack them for the fridge or freezer.  The smoke flavor will penetrate and mellow, much like with cheese.  Just my 2¢!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Muzikman

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 09:24:29 AM »
I gave it a shot on Saturday, only did a few of each and they turned out good.

I went with 175º for four hours on the top rack with about 3oz of Pecan chips. I might have left them in longer, but I was running out of time.

I smoked them whole as I wanted to see how well it worked and to retain the seeds. Though in the past I have slit them down the middle to get more smoke into them. With the SI, I really don't think it's needed unless you do want to dry them out completely.

I added one of each into my sauce (ran them through the blender with sauteed onions, green peppers and garlic to make a puree) then added that to the pot with the rest of the ingredients.

I just minced the rest and added it to the chilli. Not as hot as I usually make it, but we were having a party and didn't want to cause anyone pain.

Also smoked a 9.5lb Brisket and 6.5lb Butt.
Jason - Pittsburgh, PA

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 02:01:41 PM »
I would go with whole peppers on the lowest rack towards the back of the smoker. Use high heat and plenty of smoke, rotate the peppers to get equal smoke and hopefully some char.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 08:16:09 PM »
Nice job, Jason - and a briskie and butt to boot! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!