Author Topic: Ordered a #2  (Read 11455 times)

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: Ordered a #2
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2014, 03:00:58 PM »
Yes!   Got ribs on the #2 this afternoon, and just got back from hitting balls on the range!  Ribs should be on the table at 6.  You have to love the lazy-Q!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2014, 07:16:32 PM »
6:30 PM has come and gone. The Weekend Warrior is ether, to greasy to post pictures or has fallen asleep because he was up half the night charting temps.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

WeekendWarrior

« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2014, 09:35:19 PM »
We ended up cranking up the heat to 250 as it was still only 162 after 13 hours and going nowhere.  Took another 5 hours to hit 190, 17 hours in total.  This made the vent temp 225 to 245, the grate Probe was 225 to 235.

I checked the temp when I pulled it out with my quick read digital and it showed 195.

Not sure why the Maverick was reading 5 degrees lower than the other.  Would being too close to the bone make it read lower?

I didn't get any pictures of the after.  I have some before pics.

Pork was better than any of the bbq places, so overall it was a great success.
Bruce - Iowa
#2 Owner
Iowa National Guard - Retired
Computer Geek

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2014, 07:32:22 PM »
A little over 8 lbs, 17 hours...not unusually long.  1.5 -  2 hours per pound is a good rule of thumb, but not an exact science.  Funny thing about large cuts of meat, like butts and briskets - they're made by animals, and they're all different!  Lots of factors effect cook time:  the density of the muscle (Arnold Piginator, or Couch Potato Pig?), the amount of fat, and the connective tissue.  If you plan to use your supplier on a regular basis, you might keep this in mind.  Typically, meat you buy from a particular source is pretty consistent, as far as quality of the meat. 

Next time, I'd recommend starting the butt at 240 instead of 225...this won't hurt anything, and will probably speed the cook time, without sacrificing tenderness.

Overall, sounds like great results!  Anytime I hear "better than any BBQ places," I know we have a winner! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2014, 05:57:05 PM »
Welcome from Arizona!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle