Author Topic: Try making Duck Prochuto  (Read 3596 times)

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Try making Duck Prochuto
« on: June 08, 2014, 03:09:52 AM »
1 skin on duck breast
Approximately 1 cup kosher salt, maybe less depending on size of the duck breast.
3 Tablespoons Your favorite fresh herb chopped, thyme works well, rosemary is a bit harsh
2 Smashed and chopped Garlic Cloves (if you like garlic)
1 Tablespoon freshly cracked black pepper.
Cheese cloth and butchers twine.

In a bowel thoroughly mix everything EXCEPT the duck, cloth and twine
In a non-reactive shallow dish make a 1/2 inch deep bed of the salt/herb mixture slightly wider and longer than the duck.
Place the duck on the salt meat side down, cover with the remainder of the salt/herb mix up to 1/2 inch
Cover with cling wrap, then place a small plate with two full beer cans on top, refrigerate 24 hours.
Remove the duck from the salt mix and rinse with cold water, immediately pat dry.
Wrap the duck in the cheese cloth no thicker than two layers.
Hang the duck in a cool dark place or keep in the fridge uncovered for nearly seven days.
You want the duck to loose approx one third of its starting weight, but the best indicator is texture.
You want it to be firm but not mushy when pinched. Wait too long and you will have duck jerky.
Slice the duck very thin and serve with goat cheese and crusty bread. a few drops of honey on the cheese agrees with the saltiness of the duck.

As a variation you can cold smoke the duck for a few hours before starting this process, it adds color and flavor. The breast on the left was cold smoked four hours at 80
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 07:59:12 PM by Pork Belly »
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Try making Duck Prochuto
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 09:51:59 PM »
Looks good, Brian!  Do you think the UMAi Charcuterie bags would be good for the fridge aging (if you don't have a perfect curing area, like you)?  They work so well with steaks, I can't help but think they would with something like this.  It would be great if you could try them sometime and give us an educated comparison!  (btw, I have no interest in UMAi - just a happy customer).
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 09:53:48 AM »
You could do it but I don't see a need on this it is a very short cure time. Some people do these in the fridge others just hang them in the pantry out of direct sunlight. The cheesecloth is a low tech form of those bags. These are good with or without smoke. I prefer these cold smoked until they take a good color then start the salt cure.
- Sigmund Freud

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 05:32:10 PM »
I started two Duck Breasts yesterday. I will post pictures as they progress. I expect them to be done within a week.
- Sigmund Freud

Walt

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 07:06:55 PM »
This is another on my list of "Will do soon".
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill