Author Topic: Greetings from the West Coast  (Read 1742 times)

tankca

Greetings from the West Coast
« on: May 26, 2014, 11:45:54 AM »
Hello all,

I'm new to smoking meats and can't wait to get my Model 2.  According to FedEx tracking it is sitting in Sacramento waiting to be delivered tomorrow.  :D

This looks like a great forum to learn.  I have no idea what I'm doing but hope to soon thanks to all of you who have posted on the forum.

I also make wine so I'll be looking for good smoked meats to go along with the big red's.

I have a few questions I'll post under the correct topic.

Steve

Walt

Re: Greetings from the West Coast
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 11:58:11 AM »
Good to have you with us.  Find a good recipe that interests you on here and follow it for your 1st cook.  These are a bit different than your normal smoker.  Once comfortable with a good understanding of what / how these machines do well then start experimenting.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Greetings from the West Coast
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 12:41:58 PM »
Greetings, Steve!  Welcome to the club!  You made a great decision with the model 2 - great smoker!  The good thing about these smokers is the learning curve is short and easy.  You'll go from novice to pit master in no time!  Walt's right - find a recipe you like in the different sections and try to replicate it as close as possible.  Once you see how your smoker performs, and get the basics down, start experimenting.  The key, at first, is to duplicate success, then modify to taste.

I'm originally from the SoCal area (a long time ago).  Some of the best Cali BBQ I ever had was oak smoked tri-tips!  I still cook them!  I look forward to your participation here, and know that we're here to help, so don't be shy!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!