Author Topic: Chicago Meat Authority  (Read 8475 times)

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Chicago Meat Authority
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2014, 12:39:55 AM »
Do you have a Sam's or Costco near you?

That is where I buy 90% of my meat.

I buy my bone-in butts at Sam's (Costco only has boneless) and my ribs (I prefer St Louis cut vs. Baby Backs) at Costco.

Both places have incredible meat departments.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2014, 07:50:02 AM »
Gregg's right.  I haven't found better ribs than Sam's - spares or baby backs.  Big, lean and meaty.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Speedy captain

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2014, 02:18:38 PM »
It's a drive...  I may have to check it out
Living FREE

Rob from Indianapolis

DivotMaker

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2014, 07:15:13 PM »
Sam's is also my go-to place for bulk (packing house) packaged meat, like whole ribeyes, 10-lb. pork loins, briskets (usually USDA Prime).  Great selection, at least at my Sam's.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Speedy captain

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2014, 09:24:11 PM »
As much as I was slightly disappointed, my neighbors family, who received my leftovers, was blown away by how amazing the ribs were.  I mean, every person in that house, down to the 13 year old, raved about them today.

I am a pretty particular person, God bless my wife, so perhaps these ribs were just flat out amazing.  They did say that the next time I'm smoking meat, to let them know the cost, and they want me to throw in a couple racks for them as well!
Living FREE

Rob from Indianapolis

DivotMaker

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2014, 10:57:32 PM »
Ha!  That's our little secret, Rob! ;)   To the "uninitiated," our Q is STILL the best they'll ever have!  We are much harder on ourselves than those that taste our finished products.  Surprising?  Not really.  Most of the Q restaurants that most people have eaten at are substandard, but they don't know any better.  A lot of places cook Q too smokey, too dry, or their rubs and sauces are just not that great.  With our smokers, we focus on the prep and the taste, and are not influenced by the cooking fuel (charcoal, wood, etc.).  One of the reasons I really love smoking meat in these smokers is that the smoke flavor is pure (just good wood smoke), and you can really taste the preparation.  Sounds like you're now a full member of the SI club - welcome aboard! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas