Author Topic: Brisket tutorial  (Read 2116 times)

colecp

Brisket tutorial
« on: August 17, 2020, 07:17:09 PM »
Is there a "go to" thread that's universally accepted as the brisket tutorial? So many brisket posts, I'm hoping someone can point me to "the one". Thanks!
Chris Cole
Winnsboro SC

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Brisket tutorial
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2020, 09:30:58 PM »
I am not aware of a universal one size fits all brisket recipe.  I hit mine with salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder and to help with bark, brown sugar (same mixture I use for pork). Some fat trimming. If prime, no injection; sometimes I will Jacquard but not too often.  If choice, I will inject beef broth.  Middle of smoker fat side down and the trimmed fat laid on the top portion which lacks fat.  4 to 6 ounces of hickory depending upon how I feel, 225 degrees, and walk away. I start between 10PM and midnight and don't give it another thought. I check the internal temp when I get up and just let it go.   The stall hits at 170 degrees, plus or minus and it takes time to climb out of it.  When the meat hits 190/195 I pull , double wrap in heavy foil and then a heavy towel and place in a cooler till serving time. Works for me.

David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

colecp

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2020, 10:00:19 PM »
Thanks much! I'll give it a go.
Chris Cole
Winnsboro SC

barelfly

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2020, 09:24:46 AM »
That’s a pretty good and standard way of smoking brisket that Old Sarge gives you for our Smokin-it smokers. I do the same thing, and even pull about the same temp (195*). You may see or read others pull at a higher temp, but I don’t think that is needed for our smokers. Haven’t ever smoked a brisket to higher than 200*. The only difference for me, I smoke at a higher temp, using 250*, but that just means less smoking time. Some on here smoke at 275* (using the digital models).  All ways work great!

Just find a few rubs you like and you are set. I’ve tried SPOG and its great. I also really like Oak Ridge BBQ Black Ops rub - it’s my favorite rub! And Costco has pretty good prices on Prime grade brisket.

Have fun!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

tostitobandito

• 3DW - Seattle, WA
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2020, 12:25:13 PM »
Yeah I'll second the slightly higher temps.  Not sure about 250F, but I've found that somewhere around 235-240F is the sweet spot for me.  Makes cook time a lot more reasonable too.  225F is just too slow.

Other than that, just trim and season to your liking and throw it in the middle of the smoker.  I do fat side up cause I like it dripping down over the meat.  There's no directional heat/fire though, so you could do it either way as the fat isn't really needed as a shield.  Also, make sure you have a container of water in the smoker next to the firebox.

colecp

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2020, 06:09:56 PM »
Thanks for all the help! Now I'm just waiting on the weekend!
Chris Cole
Winnsboro SC

kona77

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2020, 08:27:13 PM »

One of the errors I made on my first brisket is I had watched some on-line video's and the guys really over-trimmed the
brisket (fat is your friend)..I made that mistake on my first smoke and learned from that error.. Have used "prime" cuts on most of my smokes but when I did use a "choice" grade I did brine for 24 hours.. I took the advise from an early moderator (DM) and have used a rub from Jim Baldridge that I get from Amazon.. I also agree with Ol Sarge's other tips but I use 7-8oz of hickory on my brisket.I do smoke at 225 but want to try a higher temp on my next brisket (250-265) to cut down on smoke time     
Gene from Wisconsin
SI newbie (3-D)
Live/breathe for the outdoors..