Author Topic: Fruita Chunk Size?  (Read 4010 times)

ColoradoClark

Fruita Chunk Size?
« on: November 08, 2017, 09:37:56 AM »
My new Smomin-It 3D is on its way!  Quick question as I am palcing an order of Fruita wood (I know I will have a lot more questions later): when you order wood from Fruita, what size do you get?  "Chunks"?  2"x2" Chunks?

Thanks for your help!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Fruita Chunk Size?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 09:46:01 AM »
2" X 2" works and a hammer / wood chisel is very handy for making smaller pieces. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

ColoradoClark

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 10:27:48 AM »
Thanks!  I figured that size would make sense.

raymillsus

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 01:45:46 PM »
What do you do with all the bark on the wood. Do you leave it on or remove it first. Almost every piece has bark.
-Ray
Haymarket Va
SI #3
Tec Sterling 2 Infrared Grill
USN 1988-1998 Medically discharged.
Biker at heart, I ride for abused children
Great BBQ is a passion.

ColoradoClark

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 10:14:21 PM »
@raymillsus: from what I have read, the bark isn't any big deal as long as it isn't a huge percentage of the fuel that you are burning: I think it is safe to just use the wood with the bark on.

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 11:16:31 PM »
What do you do with all the bark on the wood. Do you leave it on or remove it first. Almost every piece has bark.

Most people seem fine with bark. There are some in the professional BBQ crawl who think bark is undesirable,  makes the smoke taste bitter, or some other off flavor. I've used wood with bark, and I can't tell the difference. Just go ahead and leave it on. I think the bark issue is overblown, unless you've got a lot of wood that is mostly bark, and no "meat" to the wood.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 12:44:14 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2017, 12:39:57 PM »
Someone needs to do a blind test...  get something that is pretty consistent (large pork loin?) and smoke half of it using just chunks with the bark removed and the other half smoked with the removed bark.  Let folks sample each and report on what they like and don't like about each.  If there is a real difference then this should help 'smoke' it out.  :)
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2017, 04:41:16 PM »
Almost all my wood is from tree pruning or trees that friends and neighbors cut down, all my wood has some level of bark.  I don't believe that I would have reached the reputation level I have with folks that love my smoked food is it was seriously detrimental to the taste.  And as Kari mentioned, I believe that wood to bark ratio could play a part. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2017, 06:45:03 PM »
Welcome ColoradoClark from SE Arizona. Enjoy the smoker!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

JustChillin

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2017, 06:46:17 AM »
I have used wood with and without bark. I have not noticed a difference. It could be like trying to distinguish a difference between bottles of wine that are similar in quality.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

raymillsus

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2017, 06:28:18 PM »
I figured if in fact there was a huge issue with it they would not have so much of it in there with it on it. Thanks for the replies.
-Ray
Haymarket Va
SI #3
Tec Sterling 2 Infrared Grill
USN 1988-1998 Medically discharged.
Biker at heart, I ride for abused children
Great BBQ is a passion.

Walt

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2017, 12:27:26 PM »
I don't find an issue with some bark as long as it is clean (I.e. no mold, lichen, dirt globs, etc). I don't buy special wood. Most of the wood i use is harvested locally by me or my friends.  I have a small orchard of 25 fruit trees (Apple, peach, pear & plum) as well as access to all the oak & pecan I could use. I have never really had a need to get the fancy wood. Clean is the key! My $.02.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill