Poll

Did you visit the forum before making your purchase, and what impact did it have?

Yes.  Briefly visiited, but didn't stay long.
No.  I never visited the forum before purchasing.
I visited the forum after I made the decision to buy
Information on the forum directly influenced my decision to buy
I visited the forum before purchase, but it had no influence on my decision to buy
I didn't know about the forum prior to purchasing.

Author Topic: What influence did the Smokin-It forum have in your buying decision?  (Read 90368 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: What influence did the Smokin-It forum have in your buying decision?
« Reply #75 on: February 05, 2016, 09:31:53 PM »
Great to have you with us, Hulk!  Thanks for the comment!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Larigot

« Reply #76 on: May 19, 2016, 03:48:06 PM »
I've been researching smokers for nearly a year. Almost decided on the "texas" smoker when I noticed the Smokin-It brand. I read ALL of the reviews I could find about Smokin-It smokers and took a look at the forum to see what user support was available. What an impression you all made on me!! The next day, I ordered my SI#1 and have been extremely happy with my purchase, though it took ruining a beautiful rack of pork spare ribs (from a local farmer friend) to impress on me the importance of using the right amount of wood. I've not been this excited about a purchase for a long time. This weekend I'll be smoking a whole chicken, using Tony "DivotMaker's" brine recipe and smoking directions. I'm already scouting the local farmer's markets for some fresh cheese to smoke! What fun!! Thank you, Smokin-It and the gang at the Smokin-It forum!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 03:50:41 PM by Larigot »
Keith from Central Pennsylvania
Smokin-It #1

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #77 on: May 19, 2016, 04:32:26 PM »
Welcome from ND Keith!

Please head over to the Introductions forum and start a new thread to get some better visibility and tell us a little bit about yourself and your smoking experience along with what type of things you will be smoking in your new smoker.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #78 on: May 19, 2016, 05:20:57 PM »
That's what we like to hear, Keith!   I stumbled onto the Smokin-it smokers when I was researching smoker options over three years ago, and what a great decision!  Happy smok'in!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #79 on: May 19, 2016, 05:44:58 PM »
Welcome Keith from SE Arizona. You cannot find a better smoker or a better forum than right here.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #80 on: May 19, 2016, 08:17:04 PM »
Hi Kieth!  So great to have you with us!  Very grateful to hear your kind words!!  Hope you like the chicken!  I also hope to see ya' around the boards often.  Congrats!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

wehill

• Walt
    • Claire and Walt's Underwater Adventure and Photography
« Reply #81 on: February 14, 2017, 12:30:32 PM »
Hey, I was the #100 to vote that feedback from this forum was the tipping point for me to order the #3. 

So, what kind of prize do I get for being the 100th to vote the forum as the reason I ordered the #3?

I knew what kind of electric smoker I didn't want.  But, wasn't sure what kind I did want.  The good folks here answered all of my questions and that gave me the confidence to jump in the water.  It was shipped this morning.  I will come back and post after I have had a chance to use it a few times.  Hopefully, I wasn't led astray  :)
Walt
http://cwuap.com/gallery-15.htm
Claire and Walt's Underwater Adventures and Photography.
Oklahoma City

Boomer Sooner!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #82 on: May 25, 2017, 05:03:21 PM »
Welcome Daphnechen from SE Arizona.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

polarlys

« Reply #83 on: August 28, 2017, 01:57:11 PM »
I was in the market for an electric smoker a few years ago.   There were several that looked good to me and they all seemed to have the ability to do a fair/good job with hot smoke.   But,  the single most important job I wanted from it was cold smoke as well.   None of those I had researched had the ability.   Now, with all that in mind,  Smokin-It was not even on my radar at that time so don't know if it would have swayed my opinion or not.   Movin up to present days I was lookin once again and stumbled on the Smokin-It unit and the forum.   Seems to be able to do it all and do it well so after lurking around the forum and asking a few questions I pulled the plug and ordered a 3d.  It's sitting in the box at home and I'll be there next weeks to begin to mess around.

ThanX all for helping me to spend my $$$.  And make some fine smoked meat & fish.

Roger from NJ
Roger from NJ
Somerset, NJ
retired Police Officer
retired Air Nat'l. Guard
US Army '69-'72 (20th Engineers Vietnam)
SI-3d

dcbt

« Reply #84 on: August 29, 2017, 07:04:10 AM »
I knew I wanted a small electric smoker but didn't really know where to start other than the obvious - google and amazon.  A buddy recommended a pellet something-another that did get good reviews but somewhere along the google research path I happened across this forum.  The product itself seemed to get good reviews, and this forum helped make the decision.  I figured a user group of enthusiasts is a) a sign of a good product, and b) helpful in case I run into trouble of any sort.
Bryce in DFW, TX
SI #1
Weber Silver Genesis

mini14gb

« Reply #85 on: August 29, 2017, 07:37:56 AM »
I knew I wanted a small electric smoker but didn't really know where to start other than the obvious - google and amazon.  A buddy recommended a pellet something-another that did get good reviews but somewhere along the google research path I happened across this forum.  The product itself seemed to get good reviews, and this forum helped make the decision.  I figured a user group of enthusiasts is a) a sign of a good product, and b) helpful in case I run into trouble of any sort.

You made a great choice. I've had mine going on 5 years and it's as good as day one

JustChillin

« Reply #86 on: August 29, 2017, 07:44:37 AM »
I did not spend much time on the forum before my purchase but I definitely utilize when I need suggestions or ideas for a smoke. Thanks for keeping it going.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

t-motheviking

• Did you turn it off and back on?
« Reply #87 on: September 18, 2017, 01:06:44 PM »
I love this smoker too much not to throw in positive reviews everywhere I can! I've had my smoker for a few weeks and I've cooked four times on it in two weekends.  This was one of the best purchases I've made and I absolutely love the smoker!  What's better is the support and community you get from people on here!  This is one of the best forums for anything I've ever been a part of.  I've posted questions which i get good answers to and when I've posted my food people have been very nice and often offer tips on how to improve!  Reading through the forum you find that everybody is positive, nice, helpful, and extremely knowledgeable when you have a question.  Using this smoker isn't that hard but this forum is like getting a full library of knowledge on everything you would need to know and people are constantly experimenting with new ideas!  To anybody looking at this forum as part of their research before purchasing I say this.
*The smokin-it smokers are top quality and very easy to use. To the people telling you using an electric smoker isn't "real" BBQ, using a smokin-it smoker will turn out some of the best BBQ you or the naysayers have ever had.
*I've seen and used (but never owned) Cajun Injector and Masterbuilt smokers, and the quality doesn't compare to the smokin-it insulated stainless steel smokers.
*Get the biggest one you think you might need.  It's a theme throughout the forum and if you can afford it totally worth it.  I bought the 3D after some prompting from this forum and I will say the amount of space in it is amazing!
*Being active on the forum is great!  The people here are fantastic and I love spending time on here reading and seeing what other people do and getting feedback on what i'm doing!  There is no forum that is more helpful and positive then this one on any subject!
T-Mo from Morris, MN (West Central MN)
AKA The Bear, Big Mo, Big Fuzz, The Viking
Smokin-It Model 3D
Cast Iron Lodge Sportsman Grill
Are electric smokers the mobile home of smokehouses?

TX Gent

« Reply #88 on: November 21, 2017, 08:05:47 AM »
My research on other forums and mentions of the pros and cons of many different branded electric smokers led me to the Smokin-It Forum. It's here within the forum's wisdom, guidance and encouragement I found just the right smoker for my needs ... the big little #1. Could not be any more happier with my decision.

Smoke On!
John ... Smokin #2  South of "Hells' Half Acre" and along ol' Deer Creek

raymillsus

« Reply #89 on: November 21, 2017, 10:21:19 PM »
Sarge told me I would be a moron if I didn't buy one so I did. And man I am glad I did.

And Sarge did not say that. He was the reason I know about this unit and maybe 90% of why I bought it. He reccomended it on another board and sent me here. I have to admit I love my smoker It is about to be loaded in the camper (3rd time) for Turkey day at the campground. Using this thing that I love. Thanks sarge for the kick in the ass I needed.
-Ray
Haymarket Va
SI #3
Tec Sterling 2 Infrared Grill
USN 1988-1998 Medically discharged.
Biker at heart, I ride for abused children
Great BBQ is a passion.