Author Topic: Help! Stuck in a 24 hour brisket stall!  (Read 3202 times)

TXVA

Help! Stuck in a 24 hour brisket stall!
« on: July 25, 2018, 09:40:10 AM »
Cooking my first brisket in the #2 and have been stuck in the stall for 24 hours. After bringing the internal temp up to 162 after 8 hours, I sprayed with ACV then wrapped the brisket in brown paper Trader Joe's bags and stuck it back in at 225. I probed the brisket again this morning and it read 170 and is still firm.

The brisket seems moist so I turned the heat up to 250 and put it back in without refilling the water cup.

This is an 11.5 pound brisket from Costco (thanks for the Costco tip @old sarge). I trimmed about a half pound and coated it with salt, pepper, smoked paprika, Tajín, cumin, ground bay leaves, hing (garlic substitute) and nutmeg and smoked it with pecan/apple. From the pre-wrap photo, the color seems good to me. I snuck a piece of the fat and the flavor and texture lingered through my dreams as I slept through this dreaded stall.

Should I unwrap and keep it at 250? I've even thought of finishing it in the oven (gasp).

Chris from Virginia
Smokin-It #2, Weber Genesis & backyard fire-pit for marshmallows cooked low and slow.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Help! Stuck in a 24 hour brisket stall!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 10:59:49 AM »
24 hours is way too long. Wrap in foil and finish in oven. Also check your smoker for temperature. Also you lose heat when you open the smoker and that adds time. Taking the meat out to wrap or whatever  will cause the meat to cool a tad. Best is to  not open the smoker when cooking. Times dill be better.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 11:27:13 AM by old sarge »
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

TXVA

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 11:48:03 AM »
Thanks David. I had only opened the smoker a few times which added to my consternation.

I'll check the temp of the smoker before I open it, foil the brisket, throw it in the oven and report back. Last I checked, it still looked good so I'm hopeful it will be worth the wait.
Chris from Virginia
Smokin-It #2, Weber Genesis & backyard fire-pit for marshmallows cooked low and slow.

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 06:14:39 PM »
Way to long for a 11.5lb brisket, but even if you opened the door a few times this does not sound right. Like
David said pull and finish in the oven, also check the temp on the smoker and also your probe. For this size brisket, I would say 11-13 hours....
Best Greg

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 07:25:25 PM »
I had only opened the smoker a few times which added to my consternation.

Only opened it a few times? Why? I can see once to wrap (which is not necessary, but okay) but a few times? Are you using an instant read thermometer and opening to check the temp? Instant Read thermometers are pretty useless for smoking in the SI in my opinion. Get a wired thermometer. And leave it be if you are panicking during the stall.

Have you tried measuring the ambient temp in the smoker?

Nothing wrong with wrapping in foil and throwing in the oven if you question the smoker temp. After 24 hours you've probably lost quite a bit of moisture, so add some water to your foil wrapped brisket before putting in the oven.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 07:32:11 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

TXVA

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2018, 08:01:09 PM »
I opened the SI the first time 8 hours in to wrap it, which was right at 160. I then opened it at 4-8 hour intervals from there.

Did not see this in time to add some liquid before the foil. The brisket came up to temp but was clearly over cooked and was tough on the non-fat side. It also lost most of its seasoning from sweating that long. That being said, it still tastes as good as the best brisket I have found so far in Virginia!

Next time on brisket, I'll try it unwrapped and get a proper probe. I think I also was too zealous with the wrapping and would go lighter on that when I try wrapping again.
Chris from Virginia

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2018, 08:42:26 PM »
I opened the SI the first time 8 hours in to wrap it, which was right at 160. I then opened it at 4-8 hour intervals from there.

Did not see this in time to add some liquid before the foil. The brisket came up to temp but was clearly over cooked and was tough on the non-fat side. It also lost most of its seasoning from sweating that long. That being said, it still tastes as good as the best brisket I have found so far in Virginia!

Next time on brisket, I'll try it unwrapped and get a proper probe. I think I also was too zealous with the wrapping and would go lighter on that when I try wrapping again.

Hey Chris,
Once again check temps and your probe to make sure the reading are correct.
Also if your Costco has prime briskets, skip the the injections and the brine. These babies turn out great in the SI, I do my Texas style at 265 degrees and they are amazing in just 8 hours. But if they are also great low and slow!
Best Greg

TXVA

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2018, 01:29:36 PM »
Greg- OK, I'll continue to skip the injections and brine. What is the difference do you notice between a brisket cooked at 225 and 265 in the SI? I suspect the bark would be more pronounced.
Chris from Virginia

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2018, 01:42:24 PM »
Greg- OK, I'll continue to skip the injections and brine. What is the difference do you notice between a brisket cooked at 225 and 265 in the SI? I suspect the bark would be more pronounced.
I would say both turn out great, but at 265 degrees, I can put in first thing in the morning and the brisket is ready at dinner. Thus I don't need to put the brisket in the smoker in dark :)
Best Greg

TXVA

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2018, 03:41:23 PM »
I can't argue with that!
Chris from Virginia

TXVA

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2018, 12:20:42 PM »
Through trial and error, I found a good way to eat “bad” brisket. I reheated the dry brisket slices in a skillet. The fat coated the pan and the meat adding moisture and carmelized each side of the slices
Chris from Virginia

TX Gent

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2018, 10:03:36 AM »
Howdy TXVA

One way I've used burnt ends and overly dry flat cuts is in good ol' chili. You'd be amazed how smoked brisket adds flavor and at the same time softens up in the chili. Just don't add beans ...it's a Texas thing LOL

All the best on your next smoke
John ... Smokin #2  South of "Hells' Half Acre" and along ol' Deer Creek

TXVA

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2018, 11:40:50 AM »
Thank you TX Gent! I'll try the burnt ends in chili next time... and I wouldn't dream of ruining a good chili with beans- they can stand on their own.
Chris from Virginia