Author Topic: First Salmon smoke  (Read 5035 times)

Roostershooter

First Salmon smoke
« on: July 08, 2018, 12:06:19 AM »
Here is my first salmon smoke.  I brined with salt and brown sugar, 1 to 4 over night.  Had a nice pellicle after abou 4 hours of drying in fridge.  I had anticipated a smoking time of 1-2 hours at 170 for an IT of 135.  After 3 hours the temp was only 131 but i pulled it anyway thinking the worst.  It looks fine, flakely, and not over cooked.  Not much color from the smoke.  I used 2 ounces of cherry that i split into slivers and used the chip screen.  I have seen posts using the same smoking parameters getting to temp in about an hour.  Is my time smoking this salmon a normal time?  Sure seems like it took too long, but maybe i am impatient.

Walt

Re: First Salmon smoke
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 09:51:56 AM »
I pull salmon @ 135. This usually takes about 1 hour @ 170. I am glad it worked out for you.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

1stlink

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 10:10:48 AM »
I have been using Tony's post from some time back... Works great and there is a Youtube link in the thread.

https://www.smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=3157.0

Your's looks good to me..  8)

Roostershooter

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 11:13:08 AM »
The salmon does taste good.  I am curious why Walts salmon is done in an hour and mine took 3 hours smoking at the same temp.  Should i plan for a three hour smoke each time?

tedit

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 07:38:48 AM »
3 hours sound too much for me

Roostershooter

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 07:02:19 PM »
I thought 3 hours was too long too but the IT was only at 131.  I pulled it thinking that it would be dried out but it wasn’t. It seems that when I smoke below 200 the smoke times seem to double or triple from what others experience.

Walt

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 11:23:37 PM »
Smoked a 3.2lb filet tonight @ 170. I do cut into portions prior to the dry cure. Took just under 1 hour to hit 135 IT in the thickest piece. That's standard for me & salmon is a common protein in my #2.
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Roostershooter

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2018, 05:13:40 PM »
I guess i have to cut into smaller pieces rather than just 4.

Walt

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2018, 06:04:50 PM »
Your portions look about the same as mine. Good luck
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2018, 03:49:25 AM »
It usually only takes about an hour to get to 130-135, with a set temp of 170 or 180. I usually smoke portions that are 4-5 inches wide. Not sure why yours took 3 hours, but if it tasted good, then you are fine. It looks moist. And 131 is a good temp to pull it at.

I have a #1, so it's analog, and the temp is going to overshoot 170 right off the bat by probably 20-30 degrees. Plus any igniting of the chips is also going to raise the box temp, or at least keep the box temp high. It's such a short smoke, that by the time the fish is done, I wonder if the box temp is still well above 170. I'll have to graph my next salmon smoke with the Fireboard. For that reason, I'm guessing that the analog models might cook salmon faster than the digital models. Just a theory.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 03:52:09 AM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Roostershooter

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2018, 12:15:00 PM »
The Fireboard looks pretty interesting.  Having a Fireboard would sure let you know how your smoker is performing.  I may have to look into that.

Walt

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2018, 04:59:50 PM »
Kari, my #2 is digital & our cook times match up. I dont think it could have increased his cook time that much, if at all. Its a head scratcher.
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Roostershooter

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2018, 11:44:31 AM »
When i am smoking under 200, the smoking times increase 3 or 4 fold from what others experience.  I had the same trouble with a canadian bacon.  Maybe there is something wrong with my ambient temp probe when temps are below 200?  Guess i need to check that out.

Roostershooter

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2018, 06:24:13 PM »
What is the best way to check the box ambient temperature?

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2018, 07:16:55 PM »
I have a #1, analog. I check ambient temp with my Maverick ambient probe, or Fireboard ambient probe. Most of the time, I don't even use an ambient probe. Temp swings are not an issue, and as long as something doesn't seem totally out of the ordinary, I don't see a reason to obsess about ambient temp. My analog #1 is going to have temp swings + or - 20 degrees or more above and below my dial setting. And that works just fine in the world of low and slow. And for salmon smoking, I do a 15 minute on, 45 minute off rotation to control the box temp. If you have a D model, you can use your controller for your ambient temp reading, but if you doubt it, add another probe such as Maverick, Fireboard, or numerous other options. It's always good to have something as backup to your built-in probes anyway in my opinion.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide