Author Topic: Need a new propane grill. What's your opinion of the best of the best?  (Read 29941 times)

1stlink

No other  Napoleon models rated by CR. 

perhaps if you Google for reviews something will show up and I would also recommend going to their homepage.

Whoops I guess I already gave you that link.

If I remember right CR online subscription is only about  $25 which might be a good investment for you since you are shopping for a high dollar item. Warning you may become hooked..  8)

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
Yeah, I've been thinking about asking for a CR subscription for Father's Day since seeing your posts yesterday.  Great suggestion!

I did take a look at Napoleon's website by the way... These things look great!  The 665 would be nice to have!
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

1stlink

Correction ,
Napoleon Prestige P500 gas grill rating 65
Approximate retail price: $1100 Summary: This Napoleon medium sized grill has the following:
490 sq. in. of cooking area.
4 main burner(s)
Separate natural-gas model
Coated-cast-iron grates

This is listed as a medium grill and CR also rated other Napoleon models  but only the one listed above in the large category.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 01:51:21 PM by Ralph »

1stlink

Napoleon Prestige P500RSIB gas grill = 69

Approximate retail price: $1500 Summary: This Napoleon medium sized grill has the following:
490 sq. in. of cooking area.
4 main burner(s)
Separate natural-gas model
Rotisserie infrared burner(s)

Note, There are several more models posted in the CR article but only the one large model

1stlink

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
Thanks again! 

My only worry is that I'll find the 500 model too small on occasion.  I'm sure it will be fine most of the time though.  Decisions decisions!

Just checked out that article.  Sounds like a Napoleon of some sort may be in my future!  The CR subscription has just been approved by my 5 year old!
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

1stlink

Okay good luck and I hope you make the right decision   Incidentally did you notice that that post that I listed is almost 3 years old  and this same product is still available so I would think that would be a good thing.   8)

Ps,  made in Canada

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
She looks plenty big!  What are the reviews on that baby? 

I don't get the ice bucket like the reviewer in the blog post said.  But this one does have a warming bin.  That would be nice!
The Woodlands, Texas

1stlink

Consumer Reports rates that model a 70 compared to their Weber at 81

Two of the three reviews posted were negative.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 05:24:24 PM by Ralph »

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Libo - if you have a $2k budget, why not just go with the best?  Parts, support, longevity, great build quality.  I know if I had that budget for a grill, this would be the one!  Some of the "here today, gone tomorrow" no names scare me.  Too much money to not have support a year or two down the road, when Costco (or Sam's) no longer carries it!

Weber S-620
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
I have a 42 inch Ducane Meridian that was actually made by Twin Eagles.  Wonderful grill.  Other premium grills are Kalamazoo, Lynx, DCS.  It's a;; abut the price. The Kalamazoo is rather unique.  If you have seen the cooking show, Mexico, One Plate at a Time, with Rick Bayless, Kalamazoo is the grill he uses.  His stove is a 5 Star, made by the Brown Stove Works.  Anyway, here is the link.

http://kalamazoogourmet.com/products/hybrid-fire-grill/
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Dave, the Ducane's are very nice.  I remember when the only place you could find them was at the propane stores!  That Kalamazoo is one bad-a$$ grill, but YIKES!  A little out of my price range!!

Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
Divot, I'm not sure it is the best. It looks nice and I know Webers have a good reputation.  But for the same price the Napoleon seems to have more features.  The Napoleon also seems to be pretty highly rated (at least by CR).  Obviously some of what you are paying for in a Weber is that reputation.  The Napoleon may be as good or even better quality with more features because they haven't been around long enough to build that reputation yet.  The verdict is still out until I do more research (I've got a few weeks before I need to buy). I did notice that the Weber doesn't kick out the kind of heat nor does it have a searing station.  Heck for that matter, it doesn't have a lot of the bells and whistles of the Napoleon.  So far the Napoleon is looking very attractive to me.  However, I've never owned a weber so I don't have that brand loyalty yet.  Also, I'm not too worried about the parts issue.  I doubt they'll go away but that is a risk you take in not buying the big name brands.
The Woodlands, Texas

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
Dave, the Ducane's are very nice.  I remember when the only place you could find them was at the propane stores!  That Kalamazoo is one bad-a$$ grill, but YIKES!  A little out of my price range!!

Yikes!  That thing is crazy expensive!
The Woodlands, Texas