Author Topic: Auber Issue?  (Read 5948 times)

TexasSMK

Auber Issue?
« on: January 15, 2017, 10:05:40 AM »
I am attempting to AutoTune the son-in-laws Auber. I installed the wall mounted probe and by passed the analogue controller. When I plugged the box temp plug in the temp is displaying 430 and the high temp alarm goes of. Tried the meat probe in plug 1 and got the same results, and tried the drop in sensor that came with the Auber with same results--not thinking it is the probes. Then placed the wall mounted probe back in plug 1 and it alarmed. I then put the meat probe in position 2 while the wall mounted plug was in one. Both temps reported proper temps and I started the auto tune with both probes on. Shouldn't the box temp probe work without the meat probe installed! 
Dale from NE Texas--USMC Retired--Living in Havre de Grace, Maryland.  SE#2 with Auber

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Auber Issue?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 04:22:15 PM »
Not sure what is going on.  You are correct in that the meat probe need not be used.  It is for taking the internal Temperature of the meat.  Your Auber should be showing temperature and time. Here are instructions:
http://www.smokin-it.com/v/vspfiles/files/AuberAutotuneInstructions.pdf

I hope this helps.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 08:57:12 PM »
The good news is that Auber customer service is great.  I've gotten my Auber to them and back in 10 days or less the 2 times I've had to send my unit in for service.  The bad news is that I've had to send my unit in twice for service.  When they work, they are great but my trust in them is rather low. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

TexasSMK

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 10:05:32 PM »
Thanks David and SuperDave. Continues to repeat the issue, will reach out to Auber tomorrow.
Dale from NE Texas--USMC Retired--Living in Havre de Grace, Maryland.  SE#2 with Auber

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 10:05:03 PM »
What did you find out, Dale?  Yes, the Auber should work without the meat probe in.  Is this a new Auber standalone, and what model is it?
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

TexasSMK

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 08:33:00 PM »
Left it in the hands of my son-in-law.  It is a stand alone 1200.  He is suppose to call Auber, not sure if he did.  I will follow up with him and let all know what we find out. 

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2017, 12:39:39 PM »
Dale, ask your SIL if the Auber had been outside the night before (even in the garage).  I have similar symptoms if I leave the Auber out in the cold overnight.  I now don't bother taking the Auber outside until minutes before starting my smokes. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

TexasSMK

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 07:29:57 PM »
Dale, ask your SIL if the Auber had been outside the night before (even in the garage).  I have similar symptoms if I leave the Auber out in the cold overnight.  I now don't bother taking the Auber outside until minutes before starting my smokes.
I was there--yes--we did leave it out over night in the garage!  Was in the 20s that night, probably mid 30s in the garage. Dadgum, that could be it.  I will let him know. 

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 07:43:49 PM »
I know I have a very simple analog #1, so I have no concern for myself, but does this affect the D models? In cold climates, you can't take the controllers inside. Has this been an issue for D models?
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2017, 09:55:27 AM »
The more I hear about some of these issues, the happier I get that I just have a basic analog #3. I have contemplated getting a new 3D and then leaving one of them out at the lake place. But at this point, if I were to buy a new one, I am not sure I would even get a 3D. I might just opt for another analog #3 and get a standalone Auber if anything. And having a bypass would be a must.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2017, 09:35:53 PM »
I know I have a very simple analog #1, so I have no concern for myself, but does this affect the D models? In cold climates, you can't take the controllers inside. Has this been an issue for D models?

I've never had this problem on either of my D models.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

SconnieQ

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2017, 10:28:02 PM »

I've never had this problem on either of my D models.

You live in Arkansas. ;) Big difference in winter temps and extremes. I haven't heard that much about northern climates and D models at this point, but based on some people's stand-alone recommendations about taking inside, and comments I've seen for Autotuning for different seasons, I'm wondering how the D models might be affected.
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

JustChillin

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2017, 08:07:10 AM »
I will give it a try sometime.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2017, 08:33:37 PM »
You live in Arkansas. ;) Big difference in winter temps and extremes. I haven't heard that much about northern climates and D models at this point, but based on some people's stand-alone recommendations about taking inside, and comments I've seen for Autotuning for different seasons, I'm wondering how the D models might be affected.

That's why I live in Arkansas! ;) ;D ;D Although, I've spent a lot of time in Wisconsin, and it's beautiful, especially during the "other" season...July.

But, unfortunately it gets down in single-digits, even here. :(   I've smoked in 9°, but that's the coldest.  I'm sure that colder than that would test even the strongest "military-grade" electronics!  Like anything, use common sense and don't leave sensitive electronics in sub-arctic temps and expect them to work properly!  Would you leave your cell phone outside in sub-zero temps and expect it to work? 
Tony from NW Arkansas

SconnieQ

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2017, 08:51:38 PM »
I've spent a lot of time in Wisconsin, and it's beautiful, especially during the "other" season...July.

;D ;D True.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide