Author Topic: Smoked Boston Butt froze and thawed, not used is it safe??  (Read 1763 times)

Papa Rick

Smoked Boston Butt froze and thawed, not used is it safe??
« on: January 27, 2020, 03:06:52 PM »
I thawed out 3 BB and served 2 of them.  1 was not needed so my question is will it be safe to refreeze it?

I vacuum packed before I originally froze it after smoking it and did not open it.
Richard from NE Alabama  # 2 smoker

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Smoked Boston Butt froze and thawed, not used is it safe??
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 04:34:28 PM »
I thawed out 3 BB and served 2 of them.  1 was not needed so my question is will it be safe to refreeze it?

I vacuum packed before I originally froze it after smoking it and did not open it.

I can't vouch for the safety police and I am not necessarily recommending it (covering my butt), but if it were me I would refreeze it. I have done this before and haven't had any issues, especially if it was vacuum packed.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 09:11:32 PM »

Pappa Rick,
If you Thawed out the meat in the refrigerator and not at room temp, yes you can refreeze without out a problem.
Best Greg

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2020, 02:33:29 PM »

Excellent point! Totally Agree.
Pappa Rick,
If you Thawed out the meat in the refrigerator and not at room temp, yes you can refreeze without out a problem.
Best Greg
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

PhilH

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2020, 12:33:27 PM »
Papa Rick, I posted a link for you.  It is a you tube channel I follow called

Guaga Foods

It is a guy from Brazil who lives to grill, and makes some decently professional you tube videos, a lot of the times doing experiments, and he has his teenage son and his friends as the guinnea pigs. 

In this one he has ribeye steaks, from fresh, to frozen and thawed 5 times, and tastes them examine the differences in quality.

For me personally I bought whole animals from a local farm, so all my meat is already frozen.  So a lot of the time, I take some out, make something like bacon, brats, smoked pork, Barbacoa, etc, and freeze what I don’t use, so when it gets used again, it is been frozen twice.

https://youtu.be/QY2UnV1DKDU

Phillip   Ramsey MN

pappabear

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2020, 02:38:40 PM »
Just smoke it and then freeze.
Gary
Acme Pa
USAF Vet
Retired coal miner