Author Topic: Auto Tuning - Group Results  (Read 67044 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Auto Tuning - Group Results
« Reply #105 on: September 08, 2015, 08:19:48 PM »
Installed the probe and by passed the switch yesterday. Auto tuned today with a large brick and a can of water. Set the program, it didn't follow it, and it ranged from the high 120s to the high 170s.

the final #s
P= 80
I= 600
D= 303

I will be testing it out tomorrow on a few racks of ribs.

You can also set the autotune to straight temp, like 225 for 4 hours, and let it process.  It should tune pretty close, but your numbers don't look out of line.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

stockstinks

« Reply #106 on: September 14, 2015, 10:13:37 AM »
just an idea for you all.
Instead of using sand or bricks for a load during your autotune,
use salt.
 I have been using table salt and when I am finished I end up with smokey salt that I can use on my eggs or anything.

I have a SI 2 with an Auber 1800 watt pid. I mounted the permenent temp probe just above the stock location.

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #107 on: September 14, 2015, 11:41:59 AM »
That is an interesting idea, but you would need 2 small loaf pans full of salt. Not sure if would want that much smoked salt.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

DivotMaker

« Reply #108 on: September 14, 2015, 08:24:40 PM »
Glad to have you with us, Stock!  Now that you're here, head over to the Introductions section and tell us a little about yourself.  Also, add a first name and town to your signature line so we know who our new friend is - you've probably noticed we all do that here. 

Adding some salt on an autotune is not a bad idea.  Personally, I don't use wood during the tune, and think it would take an awful lot of salt to simulate the heat sink effect of a 8 lb butt, but you could.  It would be a lifetime supply of smoked salt!

Not knocking the idea, but to me, the autotune is not a time for any kind of food production.  No need to use wood, as this is just a utilitarian exercise to tune the Auber.  Just my 2ยข..
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

allmann

« Reply #109 on: September 15, 2015, 09:19:07 PM »
divot you don't think the heat of the wood burning adds to the heat?
Kevin
Lacey NJ

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #110 on: September 16, 2015, 04:54:21 AM »

Hey Kevin, yes the wood smoking will add some heat to the internal temp. of the smoker. Just normally people will not use wood on an auto tune.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

DivotMaker

« Reply #111 on: September 16, 2015, 10:06:40 PM »

Theoretically, I suppose the smoldering wood does provide some heat.  But, since it is not flaming, the heat will be negligible.  Plus, I've proven, to myself, that autotuning without wood works perfectly.  You have to remember that the Auber is gauging how fast the element heats up, and when to throttle it back to not overshoot the set point, and then how to maintain it.  Since the most heat, from the wood, will be generated at the start of the heating process, it would be pretty stable while the Auber is autotuning.  So, the rate at which the element heats and cools will not change, based on the wood burn; it will only read a higher box temp while doing so.  Adding wood is a personal choice...not necessary, but OK if it makes you feel better about the process.
Tony from NW Arkansas

Mr. D

« Reply #112 on: December 02, 2015, 03:43:43 PM »
I have a wall mounted probe
P - 87
I- 600
D - 273

Not sure what that means but that is the numbers after I auto tuned.

DivotMaker

« Reply #113 on: December 02, 2015, 08:32:30 PM »
Mr D - it means your smoker now holds temp, as you found out in your test! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas

74redone

« Reply #114 on: December 19, 2015, 08:07:06 AM »
I'm getting ready to do my auto tune and as I'm ready they these posts I noticed that some talked about disconnecting the temp prob that was factory installed in the smoker. Is this what you are supposed to do when u install the Auber system? I did install the wall mount twmp prob so my results would be consistent. I am ready to reinstall the back cover and just thought if I needed to disconnect the temp prob I would do it now. If so how do u guys disconnect it? Just unplug it? Thanks for the help! You guys have been great. Lots of useful info on these forms!
S2 and stand

DivotMaker

« Reply #115 on: December 19, 2015, 08:23:56 AM »
No need to disconnect the stock probe.  Unless you bypass the stock controller, it needs the temp probe to function correctly when you set the dial to 250.
Tony from NW Arkansas

74redone

« Reply #116 on: December 19, 2015, 08:40:45 AM »
Thanks auto tune here I come! I will post results when I'm done.
S2 and stand

74redone

« Reply #117 on: December 19, 2015, 09:58:56 AM »
Only bricks I can find are pavers that are a tan color. Do u think this will cause a problem?
S2 and stand

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #118 on: December 19, 2015, 12:06:26 PM »
No. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Limey

« Reply #119 on: December 19, 2015, 12:55:05 PM »
+1. I have even used coral pavers and auto tuned just fine.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.