Author Topic: The Most Complex Lazy-Q Butt Imaginable!  (Read 7034 times)

FunkedOut

• SI3 Pro Modified
The Most Complex Lazy-Q Butt Imaginable!
« on: August 30, 2015, 12:21:17 AM »
It has taken much planning, research, testing, trial and error on many fronts to get to this point, but I like where I am.  This may be the best butt I have ever put out, in any smoker, and it will be truly hands off!  I've got high hopes for tomorrow's grub; pulled Boston butt.

I won't get into brine or rub discussion much; everyone has their favorite recipe.  I think that part of the process can be substituted as desired.  My choice is to trim the thick fat off to gain more access to the meat.  Then rub and wrap in plastic overnight; no binder for me, but my rub has plenty of sugars, a wet ingredient.  Next morning, I freshen up the rub right before going into the smoker.

Here's where the fun begins.
I've got an SI3 with an Auber PID controller, and a 23cfm fan piped into the bottom, rear of the smokebox.  The fan is powered by the "Smoke Generator" port on the Auber PID.  That port is powered by the R1 & R2 settings in the 166 menu.  You set the program steps (1-6) that you want the port powered up.  You only get two steps to power the port, but I think that's perfect for this application.  I set the port to power up during steps 3 & 4.
Here is the program I use on the Auber:

Step 1: 999F for 0.3 hours (18minutes)
Step 2: 235F until internal temp reaches 165F
Step 3: 235F until internal temp reaches 195F - (fan on)
Step 4: 140F for 12 hours - (fan on)

I'll insert cold meat into a cold smoker.
The smoke box will be filled with wood; mostly cherry chunks, some maple chips and oak chips.  I soak the chips in water overnight to really delay their temperature rise.  That way I get their smoke later in the cook.

Step 1 set to 999F ensures that the element will be on and not turn off until 18 minutes go by.  This almost always guarantees that some of the wood chunks ignite and burn.  I know there's a lot written on this site on how to avoid that, but I am looking for that combustion to fill the box with nitric oxide to develop a smoke ring.  Hopefully, soaked chips will make it past the fire to provide smoke for the rest of the cook.

Step 2 set to 235F is my preferred cooking temp, but can be swapped for yours.  The fan is still off during this step to have the smokebox remain as humid as possible, something these units excel at.  With the meat moist, and NO2 in the air, you have everything you need to produce a smoke ring.  Once the internal temperature of the butt reaches 165F, the surface of the meat should be above 170F and there's no longer an opportunity to create any more smoke ring.  Now to work on the bark...

Step 3 remains at a set temp of 235F but turns the fan on.  This will greatly reduce the moisture content in the smokebox, replacing all of the humid air in the smoker with fresh air from outside.  This airflow also lowers the temperature of the smoker, requiring more firing of the element by the Auber to maintain temperature, crisping the meat surface, much like a convection oven effect.  This step runs until the internal temperature reaches 195F, again, which can be dialed to your liking.

Step 4 has a set temp of 140F and keeps the fan on to cool the box as quickly as possible.  This step is just here to keep from having to babysit the last few minutes of the cook, and save the day if I plan to leave for hours at a time and want the butt to remain in the safe zone.  Ideally, I need to create a step 5 with the set temp at 140F and the fan off to keep from drying out the meat.  I might just watch it tomorrow and see how long it takes to cool down from 235F to 140F to finish the program.

I subscribe to the method of wrapping and resting in a cooler for a couple of hours before pulling.
Not only does it allow the meat to rest and juices to redistribute, but it's one less thing to worry about before chow time.  I finish it early so it's waiting on me, not the other way around.

I love BBQ... 8)

« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 03:14:42 AM by FunkedOut »
Joe, in FL
Smoking It #3, Auber PID WSD-1500GPH, 23cfm of boost

abaran

Re: The Most Complex Lazy-Q Butt Imaginable!
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 12:29:08 AM »
 Sounds like a winner , I want pictures tomorrow .
Andre:SI3 with Auber, Weber kettle , Weber gas,and a  seldom  used char-broiler.
"A well-instructed people alone can be permanently a free people "-James Madison

FunkedOut

• SI3 Pro Modified
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 03:21:08 AM »
I just placed the butt in the smoker; pic attached.

abaran, after reading your thread about the ribs your making today, I decided to add a dusting of cinnamon to this butt before it went in.  I didn't taste it yet, but the aroma of the cinnamon in context with the black pepper, cumin, paprika, onion, garlic and sugars is perfect.  Thanks again for that tip.  I think it's going to be a regular in my pork rub from now on.

Off to bed...
Joe, in FL

Limey

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 09:08:28 AM »
Sounds like a very interesting experiment. Good luck.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

Carp210

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 09:42:00 AM »
Can't wait to see how this one turns out.  Hope you get that smoke ring. Sound like you have a plan and I hope you achieve your goal.  Seems very well thought out.
Dave from SW Pa.  (Steeler,Pirates,Penguins Country)
Weber gas grill, Weber 22.5 Charcoal Smoker
Retired husband and Grandad
Weber Genesis S-330 with Grillgrates
Si model#2, 800 watt, Auber, with fixed probe.

Steve Smokin Something

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 09:50:29 AM »
I just ordered a PID and now you've really given me more to think about!  I'm really curious about that fan modification.  Thanks for sharing the details.  I've got some work to do, but not just now -- I have a brisket in the smoker right now.  Dinner is going to be fabulous.
Steve from Austin, Texas
Model #3 owner

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 10:43:46 AM »
Looks like a well reasoned plan. Can't wait to see the results!
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

FunkedOut

• SI3 Pro Modified
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2015, 03:23:33 PM »
I was up late last night and didn't want to get up a couple hours later, so I put the butt in a few hours earlier than planned and lowered step 2 from 235F to 225F.  I figured this step taking longer would be best to give more time for the smoke ring development.

When the Auber timer ticked 0.2 hours, no smoke was coming out of the box yet.  A few minutes later, smoke was pouring out and continued for at least an hour when I finally went to bed.

The box temp was at 173F when the Auber ticked 0.3 hours, and the set temp changed to 225F.
The Auber began to pulse the element at a box temp of 188F.
Box temp peaked at 235F right at 0.8 hours and locked in at 225F at 1.1 hours.

zzz...

Meat internal temp hit 165F at 9.5 hours.
The set temp changed to 235F and the fan turned on.
At first, the box temp fell to 217F at 9.6 hours, then peaked at 259F at 10.1 hours.
Second trough temp of 223F at 10.7 hours, then second peak at 239F at 11.1 hours.
There was a minor third trough of 232F.  After that, the box temp hit a peak of 235F and stayed there.

During the first rise after the set temp changed to 235F, I got a second rolling smoke pour out of the box.  This tells me not all of the wood burned up at the start of the cook.  I'm curious to see what's left when all is said and done.

At the moment, 12.6 hours into the smoke, the internal temp is at 180F and the box is holding steady at 235F.
It's pretty amazing how the Auber holds the temp so well.  Not even a single degree, up or down is seen, fan on or off.

No peeking.  Smells good.  Getting hungry.
Joe, in FL

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2015, 03:35:03 PM »
Definitely wins the award for the most complex Lazy Q ever! :o ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

abaran

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2015, 09:46:14 PM »
 FunkedOut, i'm dying to know what you thought of the cinnamon in the rub. And of course how it turned out .
Andre:SI3 with Auber, Weber kettle , Weber gas,and a  seldom  used char-broiler.
"A well-instructed people alone can be permanently a free people "-James Madison

FunkedOut

• SI3 Pro Modified
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2015, 09:46:51 PM »
16.5 hours from start until an internal temp of 195F.  Right at 2 hours per pound.
I tried to wait it out and see how long it would take to cool down the box to 140F without opening the door but hunger got the best of us.  I did manage to watch the box temp fall from 235F to 181F in just under 0.6 hours.

On to the results...
No wrapping, no resting.  Straight from the smoker to the table.  Pics attached.
I have made it to the promised land. 8)
Juicy, tender meat on the inside...
Dark, crunchy (yes, crunch was felt and heard), sweet bark on the outside...
And a lovely smoke ring separating the two.
Now, I will confess to having used celery salt in my rub.  I don't really consider that cheating, as I really enjoy the taste.  I may have to repeat this process without it to see how much of the smoke ring is from the fire.
The cinnamon is a real nice touch too.  Learn something everyday.
Enjoy the images.  We enjoyed the chow.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 09:50:15 PM by FunkedOut »
Joe, in FL

FunkedOut

• SI3 Pro Modified
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2015, 09:59:13 PM »
FunkedOut, i'm dying to know what you thought of the cinnamon in the rub. And of course how it turned out .

The cinnamon is crazy good.  I've spent the last couple hours searching the web for a salt, pepper & cinnamon shaker set but can't find one!  ;D
I am forever in debt to your suggestion.

Would it be going too far to have cinnamon buns (minus the glaze) as a side dish to BBQ?
Joe, in FL

abaran

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2015, 10:22:40 PM »
 The pork looks delicious . So glad you enjoyed the cinnamon  it's not everyone's cup of tea , it gives it that Jamaican jerk seasoning flavor .

FunkedOut

• SI3 Pro Modified
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2015, 11:05:56 PM »
Thanks, abaran.

Here's a graph for the geeks out there.
Don't pay too much attention to the red line (meat internal temp).  I collected very scarce data on that line.
As a matter of fact, I have no data between the start of the cook (51F) and when it hit 165F.
That curve is from the imagination of Excel.

------------
I just looked at it after the server resized it; can't see a thing.
Oh well, you can get the general idea.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 11:08:12 PM by FunkedOut »
Joe, in FL

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2015, 12:54:38 AM »
Way too complicated for me. But, if you like it, more power to ya I say.

Very interesting thread.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.