Author Topic: iGrill?  (Read 2612 times)

Three Sons BBQ

iGrill?
« on: February 22, 2016, 08:23:23 PM »
Anyone have?

Can one use it with iPhone? Presume yes.
What is the range?

Only good with my home wifi... Or once connected can I leave and drive miles away and still have it update temps on my phone?
Brinkmann '07... Offset '11... Smokin-It '13!!!

kz0m

• Carl
Re: iGrill?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 09:02:56 PM »
Mine is a Bluetooth, range is about 100 foot from the base, they may have a wifi one too.
Carl-D/FW area of Texas.  Model #3D on top of Sears Craftsman tool cart.

H3

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 10:42:04 AM »
I have an igrill2 and igrill mini. They both use bluetooth so the range is ok around the house. They are pretty good but I always check the food with an instant read thermometer a few degrees early just to make sure I don't over cook. There are a couple wifi thermometers out there like tappeque and icelsius. I have not tried either but the reviews seem pretty good. It would be great to be able to watch the cook from my phone at the beach or golf course.
Howard from Panama City Beach

Glock_21

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 10:57:00 PM »
There are various reviews in other threads.  It doesn't seem to be highly recommended.  I bought an iGrill2 when it popped up on an Amazon Daily Deal for a great price.  I've used it for 3 or 4 smokes.  I've been happy with it so far.  Range could be better but it's bluetooth, it is what it is.
The iGrill doesn't use WiFi, it's bluetooth only.  You can't monitor it from an internet connection.  Check out the heatermeter open source project for that functionality.
Travis from North Central Oklahoma
SI #3 with Bella Smoke Generator, Traeger Texas Grill, Kamado Joe Classic 3 and Joe Jr, Anova WiFi 900 watt

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 01:44:30 AM »
I originally liked the idea of the iGrill, and it's graphing capabilities, but after reading many reviews for the iGrill, it seemed like people were having issues with the accuracy of the probes. I decided to stick with my Maverick that I already had. If you are not in a hurry for a fancy hi-tech temperature device, and can wait until at least June/July, you might want to keep an eye on the MEATER. Several of us should be receiving ours from the Kickstarter campaign, and I'm sure you'll see a flurry of posts when they arrive. Wi-Fi, and no wires! Plenty of guinea pigs here to let you know if they work as described.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/meater-the-only-wire-free-smart-meat-thermometer#/

Here is the thread on this forum if you want to follow the MEATER:
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=4163.0
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide