Author Topic: Which wood to use for turkey?  (Read 5743 times)

Brewsmoker

• Improve Your Lifestyle
Which wood to use for turkey?
« on: November 17, 2015, 12:38:33 PM »
I'm a newbie, just got my #2 a couple of weeks ago.  I have smoked baby backs (came out with good flavor, but a little tough; smoked at 225 for 4.5 hours) and reheated a cooked ham (turned out great).  Now to my question:  I'm a competitive guy and my wife is doing a 13lb. bird in the oven and I'm doing a 13lb. bird in the SI2.  Of course I want wifey's to be delicious, but I want mine to be deliciouser!  We will brine it overnight as well. 

So, is it mesquite, hickory, something else?  Appreciate any and all comments.
Bruce in Springfield, IL
Panama Canal Zone grown and raised

Grampy

Re: Which wood to use for turkey?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 01:02:57 PM »
Bruce, I prefer pecan or hickory with pork and poultry. That is just my personal favorites. I would stay away from mesquite for chicken or turkey. Mesquite smoke is pretty harsh. However, mesquite does taste great with beef.
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 01:32:29 PM »
I agree with Grampy that mesquite may be too strong for poultry.  My go-to wood for all poultry is cherry ... nice, sweet taste.   I will be doing a couple 7# turkey breasts for T-Day in the SI2 with cherry, and then a traditional turkey (16#) in the oven, which includes the stuffing.   Planning a dry run this weekend with one turkey breast in the smoker.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 03:45:27 PM »
Cherry
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 10:38:31 PM »
Bruce, go with cherry or maple - great on poultry!  Also, I suggest stuffing your bird with mire poix - equal parts chopped celery, onion and carrots (and maybe apple, or lemon slices).  This takes the meat flavor over the top!  Smoke at 250, until breast meat is 165.  Perfect bird, every time!  Of course, that's combined with your brining it first.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

smokeasaurus

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 10:49:05 PM »
Cherry or Maple or Apple......Alder is real nice as well..............
Got Smoke?
Smokin It #2 and stand
Weber Performer
Weber Redhead
Gabby Grills Santa Maria and Rotisserie
PK Grill
Blackstone 36 inch Flat Top

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 10:56:22 PM »
Cherry for me. In addition to the mellow sweet smoke flavor, it will give your bird a nice dark color that looks great for presentation.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 11:03:19 PM »
Cherry for me. In addition to the mellow sweet smoke flavor, it will give your bird a nice dark color that looks great for presentation.

Great point, Gregg!  Cherry makes the best deep mahogany color!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Brewsmoker

• Improve Your Lifestyle
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2015, 07:16:17 AM »
Thank you all so much for the guidance!  Happy Thanksgiving!!
Bruce in Springfield, IL

Brewsmoker

• Improve Your Lifestyle
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2015, 08:50:26 AM »
Bruce, go with cherry or maple - great on poultry!  Also, I suggest stuffing your bird with mire poix - equal parts chopped celery, onion and carrots (and maybe apple, or lemon slices).  This takes the meat flavor over the top!  Smoke at 250, until breast meat is 165.  Perfect bird, every time!  Of course, that's combined with your brining it first.
Tony-Thank you very much for a moist and super flavorful bird!  I followed your recipe and did add a little apple to the mire poix.  Used 3 oz. of cherry-very mild and delicious.  Smoked per your instructions and brined with your standard brine as well.  We all couldn't believe how moist the meat was!  I am thankful for this forum and the knowledge base!!  My wife and kids laugh at me while I'm quoting things from the forum, but I have the last laugh when the meat hits the table ;)
Bruce in Springfield, IL

es1025

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2015, 10:25:44 AM »
Cherry or Apple for me.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

DivotMaker

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2015, 07:10:44 PM »
Tony-Thank you very much for a moist and super flavorful bird!  I followed your recipe and did add a little apple to the mire poix.  Used 3 oz. of cherry-very mild and delicious.  Smoked per your instructions and brined with your standard brine as well.  We all couldn't believe how moist the meat was!  I am thankful for this forum and the knowledge base!!  My wife and kids laugh at me while I'm quoting things from the forum, but I have the last laugh when the meat hits the table ;)

Thanks for the very kind compliment, Bruce!  So glad everyone liked it! :D   I often add apple to the mix, too.  I also chop up a lemon, sometimes, and add it.  You can be as creative as you want with the mire poix; no rules, except to use aromatic fruits and veggies.
Tony from NW Arkansas

smokeasaurus

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2015, 09:34:57 PM »
As usual I am a day late and a dollar short  :o     Alder is really an unsung hero when people think of smoking wood. It is real mellow and nice. Try it on a whole chicken to try it out.

Alder.......it aint just for salmon anymore..... ;)
Got Smoke?
Smokin It #2 and stand
Weber Performer
Weber Redhead
Gabby Grills Santa Maria and Rotisserie
PK Grill
Blackstone 36 inch Flat Top

Brewsmoker

• Improve Your Lifestyle
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2015, 09:57:35 AM »
As usual I am a day late and a dollar short  :o     Alder is really an unsung hero when people think of smoking wood. It is real mellow and nice. Try it on a whole chicken to try it out.

Alder.......it aint just for salmon anymore..... ;)
Scott, I will give alder a try.  Thanks for the tip!
Bruce in Springfield, IL

H3

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2015, 02:21:42 PM »
I vote for Cherry. I just did a turkey breast and it was great.
Howard from Panama City Beach