Author Topic: Venting the 4d smoker  (Read 2064 times)

BobSmith

Venting the 4d smoker
« on: March 28, 2023, 05:39:38 PM »
I’m looking for some suggestions on venting my 4D smoker so I can use it in my garage. Instructions say 70cfm but that means nothing to me. What size pipe? How to attach to the smoker? Will moisture run back down the pipe onto the smoker? Any ideas would be appreciated. Also, has anyone tried to seal the door better with a heat proof seal?

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Venting the 4d smoker
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2023, 09:36:25 PM »
Hello Bob - Welcome to the forum.   70 CFM is not that high. High enough to vent, not so high as to draw the smoke thru the smoker so fast that you get little to no effect of smoking.   If you go the hose route as shown in the links, convection should take care of evacuating the smoke outside.  I guess you will have to experiment; trial and error till you achieve your goal. Check out these two links:
https://www.instructables.com/Smoker-Venting-System/
https://www.smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=6814.0
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

BobSmith

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2023, 04:36:05 PM »
Thanks for the reply and the links. I did the dryer vent application on my old MES 40 but it vented out the side so I was able to catch the condensation before it got back to the smoker. The Smokin-it vents out the top and I was hoping to figure out a way to keep the condensation from running all over the top of the smoker and making a mess. I’ll figure something out. When it’s 20 below outside and 70 degrees inside I get a lot of condensation from the vent. Thanks again.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2023, 01:07:15 AM »
You are welcome and good luck.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill