Author Topic: How much wood do you use at a time?  (Read 1136 times)

agcrock2005

How much wood do you use at a time?
« on: February 09, 2023, 03:31:40 PM »
I'm seasoning mine right now according to the instructions, using 3 pieces, but that almost seems like it was written for the smaller pits?  How many chunks do you use when you're using your 5D?  Thanks.

Lonzinomaker

Re: How much wood do you use at a time?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2023, 05:21:57 PM »
You'll use less than you think because they are so well sealed. I usually use 4-8 oz of fruit wood, less with hickory in both my #1 and #3. Never have to add wood for long smokes either.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

agcrock2005

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2023, 07:11:30 PM »
You'll use less than you think because they are so well sealed. I usually use 4-8 oz of fruit wood, less with hickory in both my #1 and #3. Never have to add wood for long smokes either.

Thanks for reply.  It's not really smoking much any more after 3 hours.  Shouldn't it be smoking a lot?  It was earlier.  Makes me think the wood burned away and now it's just an oven.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2023, 07:22:50 PM »
That is typical.  3 hours and your are good.   I sometimes get 4. Should you feel the urge when smoking meat, add more wood, but you might not like the flavor.  I did that  because of doubts and wanted continuous smoke.  12 ounces total.  Ruined a butt.  Not edible. So I go with 3 or 4 ounces hickory for butts, ribs, brisket, and just let it go. Family likes the flavor.  Fruit woods which are milder I will bump up to 6 ounces. But after that first smoke, I never add more during a smoke.  I don't even open the smoker till the internal temp is reached unless I am doing  baby back ribs.  Those I check at the 4 to 4 1/2 hour mark, depending upon meatiness. ST Louis style I check at the 5 to 5 1/2 hour mark.

If you want continuous smoke, you can add the Bella and forgo the chunks for a smoke. The smoke can be dialed in for thin and should last 8 to 12 hours. Your choice.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

agcrock2005

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2023, 08:06:45 PM »
That is typical.  3 hours and your are good.   I sometimes get 4. Should you feel the urge when smoking meat, add more wood, but you might not like the flavor.  I did that  because of doubts and wanted continuous smoke.  12 ounces total.  Ruined a butt.  Not edible. So I go with 3 or 4 ounces hickory for butts, ribs, brisket, and just let it go. Family likes the flavor.  Fruit woods which are milder I will bump up to 6 ounces. But after that first smoke, I never add more during a smoke.  I don't even open the smoker till the internal temp is reached unless I am doing  baby back ribs.  Those I check at the 4 to 4 1/2 hour mark, depending upon meatiness. ST Louis style I check at the 5 to 5 1/2 hour mark.

If you want continuous smoke, you can add the Bella and forgo the chunks for a smoke. The smoke can be dialed in for thin and should last 8 to 12 hours. Your choice.

Very helpful.  Thanks.  My bella came in today so I was going to mess around with it tomorrow.  Mainly bought this for sausages so I thought that would be best for smoking at low temps.  Makes sense on the chunks.

Smokin Papa

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2023, 12:36:09 AM »
Like old sarge said, don’t put too much in the firebox.  I haven’t weighed the wood, now just put in a couple of medium size ones.  Use 4 smoking some brats and kielbasa and over smoked them. Ended up dumping about 20 lbs of sausages (don’t have a dog I can feed it to)
I find I only get smoke during the 1st step as it is running at full power to get up to the set temperature.  As you know, once the set temperature is reached, the smoker will back the power way back and run on low just enough the temperature.  When it goes to the next step, usually 10-20* raise, the power only goes up a little to make the next temp.  I’ve found it’s not enough to reignite and wood that may be left in the firebox.  The Bella would be your choice for extended smoke.  One to two hours smoke is ok for me.

Must admit, haven’t done a pork butt in it yet. We are having a linger longer, after church potluck on the 11th of June.  Made brats for the last one, but doesn’t feed enough people, so I’m doing some pulled pork. A couple of pork butts.  We’ll see how it works.
Craig M
SI series 5D Wi-Fi
Bella Cold Smoke Generator
James Jerky Fan
Traeger pro 780
Blackstone 36”
LEM #22 Big Bite
Hakka 22 lbs electric stuffer
Hakka 12” commercial slicer
Smoked Sausages and Meats
In So. Utah 23 years
47 years with my one and only