Author Topic: Controller Problems  (Read 4255 times)

Ken

• Model 2wifi
Re: Controller Problems
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2023, 04:23:01 PM »
I replaced the controller as that seemed to be the best option.  Unfortunately, that did not work.  Every time I turned the unit on, things get worse.  The problem doesn't seem to be there when it's just turned on but cold.  It is starting sooner now and I'm getting multiple high temperature warnings sent to my phone.  The digital relay seems like the next thing to look at. I've sent multiple images to Steve along with correspondence.   

Ken

• Model 2wifi
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2023, 11:00:56 PM »
It's been a number on months now that I've struggled with this unit.  The controller, digital relay and the internal temperature probe are all new. I've been working with Smokin-It and Auber and while they are very helpful, I'm still having issues.  To me, it seems like it has to be a connection or defective wire problem.  I've made some progress.  I replaced some of the connectors as the wiring is not sturdy.  Today I made sure all the connections at the relay were very tight and got a clean two hour test.  After that, things went bad again.  This has happened before.  The attached images show todays results.  I really like the smoker and want it to work again.  Does anyone have any ideas?

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2023, 11:29:46 PM »
Just a thought.  Have you run the smoker with a dummy load like a loaf pan of damp sand?  Maybe a brick like divotmaker suggested years ago? I ask because the screen shots don't show either probe in use unless I am missing something.  Also, did you check continuity on all wires?
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Ken

• Model 2wifi
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2023, 12:53:07 PM »
All of this started when using the food probe on a long cook.  Since it only is causing problems with the IT of the smoker, I've testing empty.  Neither Steve or Auber have suggested anything else.  The smoker probe was replaced with no change.  The same goes for the controller and relay.  I wish I could buy new wiring with all the connectors attached.  I contacted Steve and that doesn't seem to be available.  All the connections have been checked again.  I'm going to cook something tomorrow and see what happens.

Ken

• Model 2wifi
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2023, 02:03:29 PM »
One more test run this morning.  Back to Square One.  I'm still going to do a short cook tomorrow and hope for the best.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2023, 08:13:55 PM »
Good luck Ken.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Ken

• Model 2wifi
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2023, 09:26:51 PM »
Hopefully someone will have an idea, even if I didn’t understand it before.  I don’t want to rely on my Weber kettle.

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2023, 11:37:10 AM »
I'm frustrated and I'm not even the one spending time and money on this.  :(

I would think if it's the relay itself it would likely fail open or fail closed, though I suppose it could be acting like a blinker bulb on a strand of xmas lights.

------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

Ken

• Model 2wifi
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2023, 12:42:41 AM »
I went ahead and did a 2 hour cook today.  I smoked a 2-pound petite sirloin.  Basic seasoning of salt, pepper and crushed red pepper.  225 with a pecan and oak combo.  The results were good, but the controller image was very scary.  No alarms went off, but I certainly still have problems somewhere.  I'm very perplexed. 

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2023, 01:36:05 AM »
The eat looks good.  I cannot comment on what the program is showing.  Back in April 22, you did ribs which came out great.  If they were done on the 2 wifi, what has changed - your best guess?   You said it all started when using the food probe; was that replaced with a new one? If on your model 1, never mind.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Ken

• Model 2wifi
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2023, 11:24:38 AM »
These problems started while cooking late last December on the Model 2.  I gave the model 1 to a son in law.  The meat that I cooked yesterday was just out of frustration.  It seems like every time that I try a test or to cook something, the results are all over the place.  The consistent part is they seem to start about 30 minutes or so into the cook.  After that, It's anybody's guess. 

I think I'll put the old controller back in the unit and leave the new relay in.  I'm going to try something different to see what happens.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2023, 04:00:06 PM »
I sure hope you get this figured out.  I do not pretend to understand all this PID stuff.  I understand on and off.  What I do is cook only by temp or time.  No fiddling around with ramping up annd stepping down etc. When I see smoke coming out, I find something else to do till time is up or the temp has been reached. If all goes well, we eat.  If not, Carl's Jr. is just down the road; so far Carls sees very little of me except for their breakfast biscuits. I am sorry you are having problems with the PID. I doubt I would have the patience to fix it and would probably either make it analog or buy a new smoker.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2023, 04:02:41 PM »
Well shit... here I was talking about the relay and you already replaced that.  Sorry...

Any chance there is a wire running someplace that gets pinched when the unit heats up and expansion occurs?
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

Ken

• Model 2wifi
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2023, 05:36:57 PM »
The wiring looked fine last time I checked.  That will be part of the swapping of controllers.  What I can't tell is if one of the wires is compromised mid-stream.  I would buy new wires, but they aren't for sale.  I'd like to get new ones complete with new connectors. 

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2023, 09:44:26 PM »
If you have a multi-meter, check the wires for continuity after disconnecting them at each end. That should take care of any possible compromise.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus