Author Topic: Gasser vs. Charcoal  (Read 804 times)

prudentsmoker

Gasser vs. Charcoal
« on: June 11, 2022, 03:30:02 PM »
Are there any advantages of a charcoal grill over gas or vice versa? Obviously personal preference has a lot to do with it. I am just curious if anyone can give me some reasons as to why one is better than the other.
Thanks in advance.
Brian from Wichita

colecp

Re: Gasser vs. Charcoal
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2022, 05:06:22 PM »
Not the answer you're looking for but I need both in my life! You'll get some passionate answers but truthfully, get what best suits your lifestyle, or both! Good luck on your quest for a definitive answer versus a simple biased one, they're hard to come by when this question is asked.
Chris Cole
Winnsboro SC

prudentsmoker

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2022, 05:52:07 PM »
Actually, it is the answer I am looking for as I just fired up the new gasser today. Just want to know if I should keep the charcoal or not. Thanks for responding.
Brian from Wichita

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2022, 08:40:27 PM »
I would keep the charcoal. I use gas for convenience but sometimes I just have to go primitive. It’s all about the flavor. My charcoal is a Weber and a small lodge sportsman grill. It’s a mood thing.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

tpcdelisle

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2022, 11:33:34 PM »
Hey. I would keep your charcoal. For me, it’s about flavor versus convenience. To me gas does not give any additional flavor. To be honest, I have a Rectec Bullseye pellet grill that goes over 700 degrees that I use for convenience and searing. Although you didn’t ask this, the reason I got a Smokin-it #3D for smoking and bbq is because of the convenience and smoke flavor (best of both worlds).  For example, I smoke steaks and then quick sear at 600-700 degrees on the Rectec to get that great crust. They all cook food. Enjoy.
Tony too!
From Southeast Indiana / Greater Cincinnati

Smokin-It 3D WiFi
Smokin-It 3 Analog
Bella’s Cold Smoke Generator
Recteq B380 Bullseye
Meat Your Maker 1 hp #22 Grinder
Beswood 250R 10” Slicer
Former Air Force
Retired FAA Air Traffic Controller
Anova Sous Vide
Super foodie of world cuisines