Author Topic: Double Smoked Revisited  (Read 2168 times)

Ken

• Model 2wifi
Double Smoked Revisited
« on: May 20, 2022, 02:18:04 PM »
I tried a new version of double smoked meat counter bacon.  The objective was to expose the bacon to more smoke.  Instead of tying it into a compact shape, I layed them out in a grilling basket.  I also got a lot less work and a much shorter smoking time.  One handful of chips. Set the temp at 170.  Total time was 30 minutes.  Most of the chips were burnt by then, maybe 150 next time. The results were great.  I forgot the black pepper.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Double Smoked Revisited
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2022, 02:23:34 PM »
Ken - I have to try that.  Never gave a thought to double smoking bacon.  Thanks for sharing!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Ken

• Model 2wifi
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2022, 03:24:00 PM »
The bacon in the grocery meat case is usually a good value and often local.  For me, it’s rare to get the smoke that I like.  This method really steps it up and the variety of wood to chose from is nice too.

tpcdelisle

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2022, 12:22:44 PM »
Great idea. I’m going to try this. I’m just finishing eating a double smoked ham that we made and it was fabulous. 👍
Tony too!
From Southeast Indiana / Greater Cincinnati

Smokin-It 3D WiFi
Smokin-It 3 Analog
Bella’s Cold Smoke Generator
Recteq B380 Bullseye
Meat Your Maker 1 hp #22 Grinder
Beswood 250R 10” Slicer
Former Air Force
Retired FAA Air Traffic Controller
Anova Sous Vide
Super foodie of world cuisines

lanailife

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2023, 04:34:16 PM »
Ken, that bacon looks really good. I think I will have to try using some counter bacon, too!

This is funny, because I first got turned on to double smoked bacon from the guys who run a local smokehouse. The stuff is terrific, like candy, it's all black and sugary and sweet, good warm or cold. Then when I got the smoker I decided ok I'm going to double smoke bacon, and I did the long way, using the recipes on here to first make smoked bacon, then slice it, coat it, rack it, smoke it again ... the results are terrific ... but then I talked to the guys at the smokehouse about it, and it turns out that they just buy the local produced smoked bacon, add the maple and sugar and spices, and smoke that! So this is definitely a good thing to try and experiment with!