Author Topic: On the fence...  (Read 910 times)

NorthernSmoker

• Expanding my culinary horizons
On the fence...
« on: February 10, 2022, 08:56:34 PM »
Just a newbie but with some background.  I'm a chef by trade and have had much success with my Weber Smokey Mountain over the years but am looking for a significant step up in temp control.  I am also looking to do some smoked sausages where I will want lower temperature range control.  So this is where the fence part comes in.  Looking for some advice between a 3D or a 3.5D unit.   I'd like to be able to hang sausages in the smoker rather than placing them on a rack and am a bit concerned about the height within these units.  Is hanging just not an option or would placing a half sheet pan in the bottom help distribute heat more evenly.  Thanks in advance for your replies and wisdom.
NorthernSmoker
SI 3.5D WiFi
Bella CSG
Weber Smokey Mtn. 18.5"
Berkel Grinder
F. Dick Sausage Stuffer
Excalibur Dehydrator
Chef Steps Joule Sous Vide
Victorinox RH Forschner Knives

barelfly

Re: On the fence...
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2022, 10:25:12 PM »
A friend of mine have come up with a way to make hanging rods for the 3D, I just haven’t made them because I don’t make sausage that often. So, I just use the racks and lay them. I think there are rods sold on the site you can purchase. But, I can’t see why you wouldn’t be able to hang and control your temps.

There should be a heat deflector available as well, or your idea with a sheet pan and then frozen 2L bottles are other ways people on here have helped with cold smoking cheese.

Hope that helps a bit.
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2022, 11:08:03 PM »
I don't do sausage (at least not yet). Have you considered the model 4?  Much more interior height for hanging and the heating element, while still a calrod type, is of a larger design which may spread out the heat more uniform.  But it is pricey.  Also, there are stainless steel jerky/sausage rods in the accessories section for each model  so hanging is certainly possible.  If I was starting from scratch all over again I would get the 4 just for the larger rack size and the element configuration.  And if I decided to make sausage I would enjoy the added interior height.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

FORVOLS

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2022, 05:09:57 PM »
I have been making various sausage for years using a Weber Smokey Mountain 22in. Before Christmas I bought a 3dwifi, so far I have smoked meat sticks(2 15-20lb loads) and summer sausage(1 15lb load) (layed it on the racks). I love the temp control, especially with the amount of babysitting and charcoal arrangement I had to do with the WSM. I think you could hang smaller sausages in the 3, meatsticks would be an issue. All of mine turned out great, I didnt rotate the racks and didnt experience any fat out.
Weber Spirit
22 & 36in Blackstone Griddle
Camp Chef Explorer dual burner
22in Weber Smokey Mountain