Author Topic: Smokin It #2 or #2D?  (Read 3820 times)

Ken

• Model 2wifi
Re: Smokin It #2 or #2D?
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2022, 01:37:15 PM »
Mine is outside with a SI cover.  The unit seems to be built for the weather.  I guess I’ll find out over time. It would be nice if that sort of information was listed in the product description before the purchase.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2022, 02:52:33 PM »
I have a #2, now going on 8 years.  It is covered with the SI cover and sits on my back deck with no roof.   Working great, no issues.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2022, 06:32:44 PM »
I should say that even tho mine is under cover, the patio gets its share of wind blown/sideways rain. No issues. If you prowl through the forum, you will find folks/photos of smokers in a garage at an open door; under a window, even set up with a range hood to exhaust the smoke outside the garage. I think there are either photos or youtube videos of the smoker being used in the snow. These are well built smokers.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

OldeSmoker

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2022, 09:39:42 AM »
I have had my 3DW outdoors on a covered porch going on 2 years. I keep the cover on it when it is not in use. However I have cooked in all kinds of weather with no issues. These smokers are built like a champ.
Paul from Southwest Missouri
*Smokin-It 3D-WiFi
with Bella’s CSG and The Stephanie Cabinet
*Members Mark SS 6 Burner Gas Grill with Sear Burner, Side Burner & Rotisserie
*River Grills Wood Fired Grill and Fire Pit
W/ Rotisserie and Dutch Oven Hanger

cantonn11

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2022, 07:28:32 PM »
If I was just starting out and budget was a condition, I would go for maximum affordable size rather than state of the art electronics. Plenty of posts regarding upgrading with a stand alone Auber when one recovers from the purchase of the smoker and determines there is a need for a PID. In other words, an analog 3 over a 2D.
Would it be possible to replace the existing analog controller with a Pakstat I electronic temperature controller which has a lower temperature swing in the analog Smokin It units?

Link to Brochure: https://literature.neuco.com/CP_PAKSTAT.pdf

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2022, 07:43:49 PM »
I may be reading the brochure wrong, but here are a couple of points I see on a quick read.

The brochure indicates you will have to add a relay, so that means an additional enclosure to house the relay.  Also the operating temp appears to be 0C to 70C.  It may or may not work in freezing weather.  I do a lot of smoking when it is below freezing in my area.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

cantonn11

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2022, 08:01:37 PM »
I may be reading the brochure wrong, but here are a couple of points I see on a quick read.

The brochure indicates you will have to add a relay, so that means an additional enclosure to house the relay.  Also the operating temp appears to be 0C to 70C.  It may or may not work in freezing weather.  I do a lot of smoking when it is below freezing in my area.
Would the electronics in the digital Smokin It units have issues in freezing weather?

OldeSmoker

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2022, 11:47:11 PM »
I use my 3DW in sub freezing temperatures regularly. I’ve not had any problems with it in low outdoor temperatures.
Paul from Southwest Missouri
*Smokin-It 3D-WiFi
with Bella’s CSG and The Stephanie Cabinet
*Members Mark SS 6 Burner Gas Grill with Sear Burner, Side Burner & Rotisserie
*River Grills Wood Fired Grill and Fire Pit
W/ Rotisserie and Dutch Oven Hanger

cantonn11

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2022, 01:21:50 PM »
I use my 3DW in sub freezing temperatures regularly. I’ve not had any problems with it in low outdoor temperatures.
Would the LCD display have problems working in freezing temperatures?

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2022, 06:37:09 PM »
Send Steve an email with your question.  Living in Michegan and being the owner I am sure he can put your mind at ease. 
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

cantonn11

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2022, 03:54:16 PM »

The Pakstat I thermostat in the brochure has a built in relay that can be connected to the heating element.  But there are a couple unanswered questions.

1. Will the Pakstat I be able to fit and mounted in the Smokin It smoker unit after the existing analog controller is removed?
2. Will the Pakstat I work in freezing temperatures?

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2022, 07:09:13 PM »
1. Whether it fits or not will be up to your skills and ingenuity.
2.Contact the manufacturer of the Paksat and ask them about it working in freezing weather.

David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

cantonn11

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2022, 06:00:37 PM »
I just bought an almost new model 2 Wi-Fi and it's a learning curve.  I had the same issues with my Model 1 that I bought new.  You have to learn your smoker.  I've been doing some test burns with no meat just to learn things.  To my surprise, the 2 Wi-Fi is a much different smoker.  The wood makes a big difference too.  Different woods don't burn the same on model 2.  I don't find that on the model 1.  Maybe that's the analog control.  Chip screens, etc. don't work the same either.  That said, the first test cook was a half chicken with some maple that came with the smoker that turned out great.  250 degrees start to finish with a nice crisp skin.  Like I said before, you have to learn your smoker.

Would smaller pieces of wood would need to be used in the digital Smokin It smokers since the heating element is not at full blast at set temperature?

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2022, 01:08:55 AM »
No.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

cantonn11

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2022, 09:35:59 PM »
From this posting in the Cookshack forum, it seems to me that wider temperature swings result in longer cook times let’s say for pork butts or briskets.

Cookshack posting from https://forum.cookshack.com/topic/accuracy-of-thermostat.
“ My smokette consistently runs cold, adjusting for temperature swings with the dial set at 250, it probably averages about 225, set a 225 it probably averages 200.  Mad

I just did a ham and monitored it relatively close over the 12 hour cook. I had an digital probe in the oven and stemmed oven thermometer in the smoke hole they were as close has you could see.

At an average temperature of 225 with swings of plus or minus 30 degrees it takes pretty much forever to get to an internal temperature of 190. Personally, I think something in my Smokette is defective, but I don't know if it is the setting dial pot, or the actual thermostat in the oven, but this problem does limit my enjoyment of my CS. I suppose I should call customer service, but I normally forget until I have something in the smoker.  Confused

On the other hand with the digital controls on my old restaurant 105 once it comes to temperature and evens out it probably holds within plus or minus 5-10 degrees, during the whole cook and hold cycle.”

Does wider temperature swings result in longer cook times?