Author Topic: A couple of observations  (Read 2624 times)

prudentsmoker

A couple of observations
« on: August 13, 2019, 10:47:58 AM »
I just found out that I can purchase ground pork at my local Asian market for $1.89/lb. which is the same price I pay for pork that I grind myself.
Second, I love BBQ White Sauce on smoked chicken, especially since there is no sugar. My favorite recipe (which I may have posted before) is below. The thing I do different is make it without the mayo. Then right before I need it, I put a little bit in a bowl and mix it with the mayo. The shelf life is extended dramatically!
Just some random thoughts. Enjoy!

Big Bob Gibson’s original Bar-B-Que white sauce
Makes 4 cups
2 cups mayonnaise
1 cup distilled white vinegar
1/2 cup apple juice
2 tsp. prepared horseradish
2 tsp. ground black pepper
2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper

In a large mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients and blend well. Use as a marinade, baste, or dipping sauce. Store refrigerated in an airtight container for up to two weeks.
Brian from Wichita

Durangosmoker

Re: A couple of observations
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 02:43:02 PM »
I have a similar recipe for White Sauce, which I really enjoy.  I never thought of mixing the mayo in later in order to extend shelf life (I figured that the vinegar would "pickle" everything enough to keep the  wee beasties at bay), but maybe I just used it up quickly enough that there was never an issue. In any event, I would encourage others to try this type of sauce, and I will give your recipe (and technique) a try. Thanks
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.