Author Topic: White Smoke - Suggestions on how to avoid  (Read 2548 times)

bababang

White Smoke - Suggestions on how to avoid
« on: December 24, 2021, 05:33:52 PM »
Merry Christmas

So Christmas is tomorrow and I plan to smoke a rib roast.   I purchased the 3D Wifi several weeks ago but just did the unboxing since it was a gift.   To practice, I smoked a few chuck roasts, the first cook was a disaster because I only cooked to 140 (medium rare and way too tough), the second was good as I cooked it like a brisket. but I have a question.

I installed the Bella smoke generator and used it for several hours but the smoke color seemed to be white in color.  Its my understanding this is not a "clean" smoke.  I was using cherry about 5oz in smokebox and was from Smokinlicious.   As a supplement, I added some more cherry chips combined with Hickory pellets and had the air controller at about 10 o'clock.   During the cook I also had my treager going smoking some jerky.  The two units where right next to the other and you could clearly see the smoke color difference.    Both smokers had been smoking for awhile. 

• Does anybody use just the Bella smoke generator instead of adding chunks in the firebox?
    Wonder on opinions about using both generators and firebox smoke, is this just too much?  Probabaly, but I was experimenting some.

Lonzinomaker

Re: White Smoke - Suggestions on how to avoid
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2021, 06:58:20 PM »
I only use one or the other source for smoke.
I also get an off white smoke from the bella.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

barelfly

Re: White Smoke - Suggestions on how to avoid
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2021, 11:00:46 PM »
I wouldn’t be too hard on yourself on the chuckroasts. If you want 140* finished chuck, I’d say a sous vide technique is the way to go, followed by an ice bath and then with a sear to finish. As you mentioned, the two were different, and the brisket chuck, had time to render and break down like a brisket, as you took it up to 200* I’m assuming. For the rib roast, you will be very pleased with a technique cooking to 140* give or take, and that would be using just wood chunks for the smoke.

I can’t comment on the Bella though, as I do not have it. I know there are a few on here that can comment, hopefully they’ll help out prior to tomorrow.
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear