Author Topic: New 3.5D wifi receive and smoke  (Read 5249 times)

jclifton

New 3.5D wifi receive and smoke
« on: June 15, 2018, 12:26:20 PM »
Received my new 3.5D wifi by FedEx Freight.  Truck was able to back down our street and came equipped with a lift gate.  I was overly concerned how difficult this was going to be to unload.  As it turns out it wasn’t concern at all.  Even with out the gate we could have managed getting the unit from the back of the truck with a couple of people plus the driver.

There was four loose screws in the bottom of the crate that had come out of the back panel.  Other than that condition was excellent.

Wifi.  Make sure your ios or android device are on the same 2.4 GHz network as the smoker is trying to attach to.  I have both 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz networks with my phone normally on the faster 5Ghz.  This threw me off for a minute until I looked at the manual.

Was able to quickly get the controller programmed running the initial seasoning run.

First smoke.  I threw in a batch of pork steaks that had been in an apple juice brine with the smoker set to 225 degrees and probe 3 in one of the steaks that was a massive 1.75” thick.  The results were less than spectacular.  I used too much rub, too much wood and cooked too long.  Results were editable but I diffidently need to learn some restraint and finesse.

Smoker performed well beyond expectations.  Fit and finish on manufacture was very good, ease of use of controller (especially considering phone app) was excellent, temperature control and temp of outside of unit was very good. 

Next up Boston Butt on Saturday.

Just learning,

Jason
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 12:31:19 PM by jclifton »
On order:
SI 3.5D w/Big Red

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: New 3.5D wifi receive and smoke
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 03:30:28 PM »
Congrats Jason. Wood selection and amount used is pretty critical for good eats. It only takes an ounce or two too much to make the food somewhat “overpowering”. Overall though these smokers are pretty much hands off once the food and wood go in. Enjoy!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus