Author Topic: spices - how much "better" are the custom shops?  (Read 5916 times)

G man

• Gordon Radford Photography
spices - how much "better" are the custom shops?
« on: December 12, 2016, 03:02:20 PM »
By custom shops I mean Penzy's, or some of the other online places. 

I checked them out and had quite a sticker shock over some of the prices....Things like garlic powder/onion powder are about 400% higher than the store bought stuff.  I can get 5/6 ounces of the garlic/onion powder (or granulated etc)....for around $1.20.    Perhaps going online they will be fresher, but does it make that much of a difference?  Perhaps going with some "fresh", some "canned" will be better?  Perhaps the paprika only?

Looking at cost when I make a batch of rub, with the "fancy" spices, it could cost up to $25.00 for a small batch...(about a half pound of spices + brown sugar)......

Gordo
50 Miles West of St. Louis, Misery
#2,  and Master Forge Big Green Vertical Charcoal Smoker, (it is now for sale!)

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Re: spices - how much "better" are the custom shops?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 04:25:52 PM »
I have 2 Penzey's retail stores right here in Madison. And the prices are comparable to crappy McCormick or Spice Islands stuff at the grocery store. So needless to say, I buy everything at Penzey's. I don't have to pay shipping. I can assure you, the quality is heads and tails above the grocery stuff. But...does it matter that much for rubs? I'm not sure. You can buy some pretty big containers of spices from Costco. They are cheap and probably plenty good enough for rubs. I would pick and choose what you think is important. But for rubs, I think it is fine to use the cheap stuff. I am fortunate enough to live in a place where I don't have to make that choice. Just add a little more to compensate for lack of freshness and flavor. :D
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 06:55:39 PM »
I know that with coffee beans there is a night and day difference between coffee ground yesterday and sealed vs. coffee ground right now.  Some people (at the extreme) will say that coffee ground more than a minute ago is rubbish.

It makes me wonder how garlic powder and onion powder are made and how much deterioration there is just by the fact that it's ground.  Is it possible to grind garlic and onion 'on-demand'?  I suspect that it must go through a drying process first... can that be done without doing other processing first?

Otherwise, if there is a difference between Penzey's and McCormick then are we talking about source materials, overall age, processing, packaging, or some combination?
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 08:58:02 PM »
I have never bought spices from the specialty shops, for the same reason as you...sticker shock!  But, I wish I had one nearby, like Kari, where they were reasonable!

Case in point....the difference between black pepper out of a grocery store can, or fresh-ground pepper corns:  HUGE difference in taste!  If you grind your own pepper, fresh, is has a totally different taste profile than old ground.  The next day, your fresh-ground will taste like the stuff in the can, but at the time of cooking, it is wonderful!  Not sure if this is a good example of the difference, but seems to work for me. ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SconnieQ

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 09:38:05 PM »
Fresh ground and pre-ground black pepper is night and day. That's a example where it makes a huge difference. When it comes to things like garlic powder, onion powder, when used in a rub, it makes less difference between the fancy brands and the cheaper brands. Penzey's is noticeably better though. It is all I buy, but it's also convenient for me. The spices are fresher, and from better quality source ingredients. The prices really aren't that outrageous. They are not that much more than a good grocery store brand, and in some cases they are less. Right now they have free shipping if you spend $19.95. Otherwise I think it is $30 in spending for free shipping. It's pretty easy to spend $30 if you order a batch of rub ingredients like onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, black pepper, etc. And they give away free stuff constantly. I'm in the store every other week picking up a bottle of something free, sometimes without spending anything.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 09:39:36 PM by SconnieQ »
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 07:12:23 PM »
Good to know, Kari!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 08:52:00 PM »
Fresh ground and pre-ground black pepper is night and day.

Only mildly off-topic...  does anyone know where to get a pepper-mill that will grind a decent quantity quickly and consistently?  Is there another way I should consider?
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

SconnieQ

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2016, 10:31:14 PM »
Fresh ground and pre-ground black pepper is night and day.

Only mildly off-topic...  does anyone know where to get a pepper-mill that will grind a decent quantity quickly and consistently?  Is there another way I should consider?

A coffee grinder works well. I have one that I use just for spices (so my coffee doesn't taste like spices). You don't have to buy a fancy one.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2016, 07:44:15 PM »
A coffee grinder works well. I have one that I use just for spices (so my coffee doesn't taste like spices). You don't have to buy a fancy one.

I also have a coffee grinder, but have never used it for pepper.  I would like to find a mill that you can adjust the grind size, consistently.  Seems like that would be hard to do in the coffee grinder.
Tony from NW Arkansas

Meatball

• Smoke it if you got it ....
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2017, 07:37:23 PM »
I have been using a mortar and pestle for as long as I can remember with excellent results. Its nothing special, just a inexpensive granite one I have had for years. Grinding spices in it just opens up the flavors more, especially in peppercorns and garlic. Its a bit old fashion , especially in the day and age of food processors and such, but I have had nothing but positive results.
Bobby
Tennessee resident
Welder / Inspector

Rockenburger

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2017, 07:49:27 PM »
I bye spices and many other things from bulkfoods.com. They have good prices, and evrything I have ordered has been fresh. Living in a small town in rual Oregon, the internet is my friend. Tim In Tillamook
Tim, in Tillamook Oregon, SI #4D, weber porpane grill. seafood cooker and a old charcole grill, have used old barrel smokers.      Wife, twin boys, dog, cat and a bunch of rabbits