Author Topic: after 15 good butts, I ruined one  (Read 6832 times)

40 caliber

after 15 good butts, I ruined one
« on: November 24, 2016, 09:14:44 AM »
I thought i had this down.  I have done close to 15 pork butts with perfection. this past week, I did a 7lb boneless butt (most butts in the area are boneless). I did the DM brine for 9 hours, applied the mustard and rub as i had so many times before. it went in 9pm at 235 . i wanted it done in the early morning.

I had some trouble trying to start the 3D. Outside temp was in the 40s and the box read 45 and the meat read 70-49 fluctuating when it went in. it kept shutting off. I shut off and restarted a couple times.  after waiting a while it worked. i dont know if the probe was in shock going from 70 degree house to a 45 degree butt but i highly doubt it. It did seem however that after the probe found the butt temp it started. I had adjusted the butt a couple times in the shelf restabbing the probe trying to figure out what was going on. Not sure if that had an impact.

checked it at 10:30pm and it was at 147 in 1.5 hours. the box temp was only 175 but sometimes takes a while to climb but the internal temp seemed way too high so quickly. It seemed like it was going fast but i have been fooled before. turned it down to 230 and went to bed. My son heard the 3rd ring "END" at 1am. he didn't know anything about it so he didnt want to wake me.
I got up at 430 to check it. it was off and box was cold when i opened it. put it on the counter and temped it at 133. The bark was extremely tough. when i opened it up,

something went wrong because no 7lb butt should ring done in four hours

i found some rub that had not carmelized and part of the butt looked more like pork tenderloin than pork to pull. Well good thing it was a $2 a lb pork butt and not a Brisket!!

doing a post mortem but have not figured it out. Some theories I have:
1. some of the wood was white ash powder. would combustion have done this?
2. I had used a model 2 rack in my 3 for easier clean up. I wonder if i put it in too far and the butt stabbed the box thermometer?

3. probe has since worked fine on some smoked chicken breast so it wasn't that. It has also worked well on time without the probe.

4. the probe was in too far and reading the other side of the meat? - I doubt it as i am usually really careful. it was quite dark out. maybe the probe pulled back when i adjusted the shelf

I may never know but open to any other thoughts oh mighty pitmasters!
Tom From NH
My two favorite things are  my Victory Motorcycle riding the tail of the dragon. and making the CUE!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: after 15 good butts, I ruined one
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 09:36:35 AM »
Seems like a lot of fuss and worry over a $2 piece of meat. Regardless of the cost of the meat, turn the machine on and leave it alone. constantly fussing with it and changing things invites mistakes and introduces variables that are difficult to account for later.

Do enough smokes and some will fail even without us inviting disaster. Quit worrying about it.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 11:49:37 AM »
I've woken up in the middle of the night to find that my Auber has jumped to the next program way before it should and I assumed it was because of a faulty reading in a probe.  Your starting meat probe issues would make me think you suffered the same fate.  Did you just have one program in your smoke set up?  Always put a second program in for warming as a safety to keep heat going in case program 1 goes off while you are sleeping. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

40 caliber

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 06:18:27 AM »
Hi Pork belly, i didn't fuss with it at all after it got started. Its a 3D and i just read the meter.  Granted it's a $2 a lb piece of meat and i didn't care that  much either.  I was trying to see if there was a lesson here. I am getting ready to do a  Brisket and prefer not to have to learn on an $80 piece of meat.

Super Dave- thanks , do you think it's the probe? it worked fine on a follow up roast and chicken however.  I dont use any other programs. I guess i could have put a 2-3 hour warming cycle after.
Tom From NH
My two favorite things are  my Victory Motorcycle riding the tail of the dragon. and making the CUE!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2016, 10:44:00 AM »
Tom, I bought a replacement probe and have experienced the same issues. What I've learned is that if readings are odd or jumpy out of the chute don't ignore it. Once the readings look and act right it seems to lock in and perform as expected. For me, it means I can't flip the switch and crawl directly into bed. I usually stay up an hour to assure everything is acting normally. Always check the plug on the probe that plugs into the Auber, the housing tends to get loose. I don't know if it has any impact but I always  make sure that it is tightly threaded to the probe body.

40 caliber

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2016, 02:20:46 PM »
thanks Dave. good to know. i will check the probe. exactly what i was looking for. just trying to make sure i didn't miss anything.
less disapointed with the loss of cost of the butt vs the outstanding mouthwatering cue!!!
Tom From NH

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2016, 09:00:47 PM »
Tom, I mourn the loss of any smoke meat!  Not the cost, but the loss of culinary satisfaction! >:(

From the sounds of it, I think it's very possible you were either up against the box probe, or you skewered it.  Been there, done that (sad to admit).  The other thing could be that it needed a "reset."  When you saw the meat temp at 147 that quick, you could have killed power and restarted it.  Hey, these are computer boards and sometimes they get "glitchy." 

Since you've used the probe after, I don't think it's bad.  But, you may want to test your meat probe with ice water and boiling water to see if you get 32 & 212. 

This is one of the reasons I rarely do overnight smokes!  I'm just too afraid Murphy is going to show up and ruin my dinner!  If I do an overnighter, I use a remote thermometer (my Fireboard) that will alarm my phone if it gets out of whack!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2016, 09:07:05 PM »
Now if the D models could come with WiFi and an app... ;)
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2016, 09:25:23 PM »

Stay tuned...  ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

SconnieQ

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2016, 09:31:56 PM »

Stay tuned...  ;)

Would a couple extra food probes be too much to ask too? ;)
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2016, 09:35:33 PM »

I'll pass the suggestion on to Steve.  Not a bad idea, to at least ship one extra.
Tony from NW Arkansas

SconnieQ

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2016, 09:42:34 PM »

I'll pass the suggestion on to Steve.  Not a bad idea, to at least ship one extra.

I was thinking more along the lines of using them simultaneously. Like multiple ports. I always use 2 probes per hunk of meat, just in case I get bad probe placement, or a goofy probe reading. Don't know if Auber supports multiple food probes.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2016, 10:05:18 PM »
I could see multiple food probes being problematic for programming.  One would have to be the primary and the others just readout ports. 

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2016, 10:12:38 PM »
I could see multiple food probes being problematic for programming.  One would have to be the primary and the others just readout ports.

Bingo.  I agree.
Tony from NW Arkansas

SconnieQ

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2016, 11:19:14 PM »

Bingo.  I agree.

Aha! I get it. Because the food probe information is controlling the program, and in turn controlling the smoker... Hmmm... if there were multiple probes with an app, then in theory you could control your smoker from the app, and override the primary probe, or programming altogether, if for example one of the "readout-only" probes was giving you information that you wanted to act upon. So I still see value in multiple probe ports, with a primary port, and maybe 3 "readout only" ports. Or maybe there are 4 ports, and you can choose through the app or controller which port you want to use as the primary port. Or maybe the Auber is already complicated enough LOL! ;D Not that Smokin-It is manufacturing their own digital controller...or are they...? 8)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 11:33:08 PM by SconnieQ »
Anova WiFi Sous Vide