Author Topic: 7lb bone in butt  (Read 2387 times)

40 caliber

7lb bone in butt
« on: November 19, 2016, 06:33:46 AM »
Well i finally found a Boston butt up here in the boston area! LOL. i thought they didn't exist here. it felt like a midwest term using a northeast name.  I think it is sort of like Amstel Beer which Heineken Marketing refers to as brewed using the Amstel river. I say this only because I travel to Amsterdam for business. If you ever REALLY saw the Amstel, you wouldn't want your beer made from it!

Back to Butt!  Brined this  using the Famous DM brine on the stickey for over 12 hours. used a  pulled pork rub from Brooks chicken in upstate New York. I put it in the smoker at 10pm at 235 degrees  with 7 ounces of Maple wood and let her rip in my 3D. This 7lber took about 13 hours which was a little surprising. it reached 189 and then fell back to 175.. Finally it hit 190 and pulled it.  I pulled the bone out of the middle. It came out clean and no problem.

I forgot to get kaiser rolls so i used some Honey wheat bread for a quick sandwich. I must say having the Honey  in the bread with a Maple sugar smoke gave a great taste. Although i love maple, the wood taste wasn't where i liked it. It's just too subtle for pork I guess. I will stick with Hickory in the future.

The rub was ok but I prefer Bad Byron's butt rub for a salty taste or Killer Hoggs rub for a sweet taste. Both work better depending on what I'm looking for that day

I believe i have pork butt down but  continue to mix it up to just to see what I can do with it.

Everyone thought it was good, including the dog who patiently  and intently watched me to make sure he got his  share. Haha

and now for the pictures. If there are not pics, it didn't happen!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 06:35:57 AM by 40 caliber »
Tom From NH
My two favorite things are  my Victory Motorcycle riding the tail of the dragon. and making the CUE!

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
Re: 7lb bone in butt
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 09:54:59 PM »
Looks perfect.  If you can find 9 + lb ones try next.
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

40 caliber

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 03:28:12 PM »
I have actually had one 10lb boneless butt! it was a meal!

if you meant with a bone, i will have to keep looking!
Tom From NH
My two favorite things are  my Victory Motorcycle riding the tail of the dragon. and making the CUE!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 07:21:44 PM »
Outstanding, Tom!!  Brining (in my experience) reduces the cook time a bit.  Looks absolutely fantastic!  I did one a couple of weeks ago, and used Bad Byron's Butt Rub (store was out of Famous Dave's Rib Rub), and it was great!  Either of those (FD first, BB second) are my "go to" off the shelf rubs.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 09:10:10 PM »
Bad Byron or Famous Dave's is my base layer rub and then I add my own cupboard spices and brown sugar.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah