Author Topic: Baby backs in a hurry  (Read 2092 times)

Baby backs in a hurry
« on: October 22, 2016, 04:58:11 PM »
Hey guys,

Proud owner of a new model 2D here.  Looking for advice on temp setting for no-peek smoking a single rack of baby backs in 3 to 3 1/2 hours; for those weeknights when I don’t have a lot of time to get dinner on the table. 

So... which of you low & slow aficionados is willing to break the faith by chiming in?   ;D

Thanks!
John from TX

Grampy

Re: Baby backs in a hurry
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 07:00:57 PM »
Baby back ribs take 5 to 5 1/2 hours to smoke using the no peek method. Cooking them only 3 to 3 1/2 hours they are not going to get done without being tough.
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 03:48:48 PM »
Maybe you will seem like its more time, but cook them right the night before and re-heat them on a gas grill the day after for your dinner.

4 to 6 + hours depending on meat and cut to do it right.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 10:46:10 PM »
There might be some people who have cooked ribs at 350 or so on this forum in order to get them done quicker, but not many. Ribs reheat beautifully! The taste is pretty much the same as when they were first cooked. I would suggest smoking a whole bunch of ribs on the weekend. Then wrap in foil and into the freezer (or refrigerator if eating within a couple days). To reheat, I like to put mine in a low oven, like 200-250, still wrapped in their foil (on a sheet pan in case they leak). Sometimes I even put the ribs in the oven frozen. Others here use the crockpot to reheat. I've even reheated in the microwave when I'm just heating up a few.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 08:40:37 PM »
John, I have to tell you, you cannot "short-cut" good BBQ.  This is not a pressure cooker, a convection oven or a microwave.  If you want convenience, smoke things ahead of time - when you have the time - vacuum pack and reheat.  Enjoy fresh meals on days when you can, and reheat great Q on days when you can't.  You just simply can't cook good BBQ fast!  The process that the meat is going through takes time to work, and the laws of thermodynamics just don't allow it.

If you don't have a vacuum sealer, I highly encourage you to get one; it's one of the best investments you can make, with this hobby!  Vac-sealed ribs, brisket, pork butt, etc..., are darn-near as good reheated as they are the day out of the smoker, if you reheat properly!  Don't just throw it in the microwave and nuke the juice out of it!

You can enjoy some great BBQ, even on a time crunch, if you plan properly.  I know about lack of time, with the 60-70 hour weeks I consistently work, but I make time for Q, through proper planning. 

Bottom line - I see a trend that you are looking for ways to speedup the process, and it just can't be done.  But, we are here to help you learn efficiency and patience, so you can enjoy the fruits of your labor on limited time! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!