Author Topic: Reheat or rib rack?  (Read 2019 times)

40 caliber

Reheat or rib rack?
« on: July 05, 2016, 07:15:39 AM »
My mom's barbecue is coming up and the pressure is on. i will be using my 3D and SI2 to cover this event. she has more than 50 people coming. i will have 2-3 pork butts for pulled pork as well as 14 racks in my 2 units  (10 in the 3D and 4 in the SI2). experience has shown me that my #2 struggles with more than 4 full racks in 5 hours so i really dont want to push it beyond 5 racks. of course it was winter when i did the 6 racks and made it struggle. i had to pull 2 racks out to finish on time.

anyway. question for you all. I am getting nervous and might want to cook an extra 5 racks of baby backs.

1. should I use a rib rack and pack more than 10 racks in the 3D?

2. Should i cook 5 racks the night before and reheat? if i reheat, what is the best way to reheat them in the oven or microwave? (smoker will be busy)

what is everyone's experience on this?
Tom From NH
My two favorite things are  my Victory Motorcycle riding the tail of the dragon. and making the CUE!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Reheat or rib rack?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 02:38:18 PM »
I think I would reheat.

Put them in a crockpot with a 1/2 cup of apple cider/juice and they will be just as good as your fresh ribs if not better. I love reheated ribs if I ever have any to reheat.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 06:26:24 PM »
Reheat, I personally like them lightly on the grill the day after.  Things get crispy and nice that way.   

You don't want to be rushed to have it done when people arrive
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

40 caliber

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 06:37:00 PM »
I think I would reheat.

Put them in a crockpot with a 1/2 cup of apple cider/juice and they will be just as good as your fresh ribs if not better. I love reheated ribs if I ever have any to reheat.

wouldn't that turn them to mush?
Tom From NH
My two favorite things are  my Victory Motorcycle riding the tail of the dragon. and making the CUE!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 07:26:41 PM »
I think I would reheat.

wouldn't that turn them to mush?

Nope.  I put 1/4" in the bottom, and heat on low for 3-4 hours.  Stand the 1/2 racks on edge, and they'll turn out great!  Done a ton of reheats like this, and haven't had a complaint yet!  ...only a big pile of clean bones! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!