Author Topic: Pork Butt vs Pork Shoulder - what's the difference?  (Read 5516 times)

40 caliber

Pork Butt vs Pork Shoulder - what's the difference?
« on: June 23, 2016, 06:42:22 AM »
I don't mean difference of the  cut, i looked that up and i get it. What I am trying to understand is what do you do with a pork shoulder (or picnic shoulder). When it comes to pulled pork we always talk Pork butt.

1. what do you use the shoulder for? it seems like pulled pork as well?

2. why use one of the other? is there anything else you do with the shoulder besides pull it? 

3. i notice up north, you dont get a bone in pork butt. if you want bone in, you get a shoulder.  when we say bone in butt down south do we mean shoulder?

still learning here, but aren't we all always?

tom
Tom From NH
My two favorite things are  my Victory Motorcycle riding the tail of the dragon. and making the CUE!

Grampy

Re: Pork Butt vs Pork Shoulder - what's the difference?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 07:18:38 AM »
Tom,

Boston butts comes from high on the hog, above the shoulder blade, and has lots of juicy, marbled fat. Below the butt is the pork shoulder. This cut includes most of the hog's front leg quarter. Because the leg muscles work a lot more than the back, the meat is a little tougher here than the butt, thus requiring a bit more time to come out tender.

A shoulder cut with the shank -- or hock -- attached is called a picnic ham. This cut is cheaper than most because it requires less butchering and has more bone in it.

A picnic ham is what people on the East Coast uses for pulled pork. Barbecue restaurants that make a lot of pork will sometimes use this because it's cheaper than Boston butt -- but also because some prefer the flavor. The shank and leg, if cooked properly, is full of flavor and has good texture to the meat.

To answer your question of why, I think comes down to a regional thing and personal preference. Both can be used for pulled pork.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 07:20:33 AM by Grampy »
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 10:06:19 AM »
I'm in what would be considered North (Fargo, ND), and we (the people that I know anyhow) typically call a picnic a shoulder and a Boston Butt a butt.

Boston Butt = Pulled Pork
Because of the high fat/collagen content this cut is preferred for pulling.

Picnic Shoulder = Sliced Pork
Because there is less fat/collagen picnics make better slicers. Smoke to 175, rest and then slice. I do this every once and awhile and they make awesome sandwiches.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 02:53:56 PM »
+1 to what Greg said. I also use the picnic for making ham with good results.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

40 caliber

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 06:34:51 PM »
Thanks guys ! it all makes sense now.....!

tom
Tom From NH
My two favorite things are  my Victory Motorcycle riding the tail of the dragon. and making the CUE!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 08:54:51 PM »
Good answers!  In the South, the Boston butt IS pulled pork.  The texture of the meat, combined with the loin muscle portion (what they call the "money muscle," in the BBQ circuit), makes the BEST pulled pork!

Interestingly, the "picnic" cut of shoulder got its name because it used to be the "poor man's ham!"  The cut was cheaper than a rear leg ham shank, but very similar in characteristics.  People would buy these, over more expensive hams, to cook for a lot of people at a picnic...hence, the name of the cut!

Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 09:59:00 PM »
I've only done bone in boston butts for pulled.   The "picnics" around here are small and I'd bet take forever to smoke.   Less fatty though as mentioned before.

In these smokers (from experience) the bigger the better. 

8+ porks are best.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

TexasSMK

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2016, 01:09:42 PM »
This forum is awesome--learn something new every time I get on.  Thanks Smokers
Dale from NE Texas--USMC Retired--Living in Havre de Grace, Maryland.  SE#2 with Auber

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2016, 08:48:18 PM »
This forum is awesome--learn something new every time I get on.  Thanks Smokers

That's how we roll, and what we're all about, Dale! 8)   We learn from you, too!  It's definitely a "two-way street!"
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!