Author Topic: 7.4 lb pork butt is on its way!  (Read 4607 times)

40 caliber

7.4 lb pork butt is on its way!
« on: May 01, 2016, 06:11:37 AM »
Ok, so I put her in last night at 11pm  she is now at 174 IT degrees. and SI2 is bouncing between 220 and 260 since I woke up this am. . it is set at 235 and the cycles between the 2 seem brequent.

I used 6 ounces of Apple/hickory mix. (as I don't have Cherry). after 7 hours, it is still smoking but  I don't smell wood as much as meat at this point.

I did the following
1. DM brine recipe for about 15 hours.
2. slathered in mustard and covered with Killer hogs rub. (it has a good amount of brown sugar so it should bark up nice)
3. I didn't see where people used a water pan with brined butt and my google search wasn't conclusive so I skipped the pan in favor of hopefully better bark (don't know if that was a mistake)

seems to be doing what it should do.... I'll keep you posted.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 10:26:41 AM by 40 caliber »
Tom From NH
My two favorite things are  my Victory Motorcycle riding the tail of the dragon. and making the CUE!

drains

Re: 7.4 lb pork butt is on its way!
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 07:57:22 AM »
That's gonna be some tasty Q there tom! I personally don't use a water pan on butts since they provide a lot of moisture on their own and the smokers are so tight hardly any moisture escapes. Lean meats will benefit from a water pan though. Keep us updated on your smoke!
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

40 caliber

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 08:48:47 AM »
That's gonna be some tasty Q there tom! I personally don't use a water pan on butts since they provide a lot of moisture on their own and the smokers are so tight hardly any moisture escapes. Lean meats will benefit from a water pan though. Keep us updated on your smoke!
Thanks Dale! good to know. now I can rest easy. I find forgetting the water pan on no peek baby backs (as I did yesterday) can bring them in a little dry. still good but not as good was when I remember it!

we are now at 185 with 10 hours in!   the smoker is keeping it right in the range for heat. It won't be long now!!!!

as you can tell by my screen name, I frequent they gun forums. as I learned there, Pics or it didn't happen. unfortunately I took a picture last night after I wrapped it so the picture isnt' the best!
I promise better on the "after" side.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 10:23:30 AM by 40 caliber »
Tom From NH
My two favorite things are  my Victory Motorcycle riding the tail of the dragon. and making the CUE!

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 11:03:18 AM »

as you can tell by my screen name, I frequent they gun forums. as I learned there, Pics or it didn't happen. unfortunately I took a picture last night after I wrapped it so the picture isnt' the best!
I promise better on the "after" side.
[/quote]

I agree Tom! No pictures, it didn't happen!!!!  :) :) :) Can't wait for the "after" pictures. Looks like it turned out really nice!
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

coachB

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 11:57:31 AM »
Sounds like everything is going according to plan Tom.  An Auber would make it even easier--like with guns the right accessories really help. 
NH huh?  Would one of the forums be the SF?  It is excellent.
Bill from Myrtle Beach SC

40 caliber

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 03:23:47 PM »
Sounds like everything is going according to plan Tom.  An Auber would make it even easier--like with guns the right accessories really help. 
NH huh?  Would one of the forums be the SF?  It is excellent.

SF? not sure, I don't think so. .... NES as I am in new England and GBoards and Survivorboards for SKS as I collect SKS and C&R
Tom From NH

40 caliber

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 03:34:31 PM »
well moment of truth! IT is awesome! moist and perfect!! in last night at 11 and 11am pulled at 190. rested for 2 hours and then got to  break in my bear claws.... making friends all over the neighborhood as my wife is (gasp!) a vegetarian. needed to practice this for a cue this summer.

I actually do have a 3D but as I just finished seasoning it, I used the SI2 for my first butt. as I get comfortable with the 3D, I will turn it loose while I sleep, but I didn't want to do that for this  time out.

I had just as much fun being "5" instead of over 50. saying every juvenile thing I could to my wife.
1. do you want a bite of my butt?
2. I have to go wipe my butt (when I first pulled it out of the brine and patted it dry)
3. sorry but I am busy now. I am picking my butt (when I broke off a piece to taste)

I gave some to anyone that would eat it. Neighbors loved it, son loved it, I loved it! without any further ado,,,,,,,,,
Pictures

Question for Tony! did I pull the pork well enough? being a Yankee, I have only had pulled pork once. they actually didn't make it well (of course, I was up north)  This butt  however that I just made was awesome!

Tom From NH

Smoken

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2016, 03:39:12 PM »
That looks great I'm going to give it a try next weekend for sure after that pic.
Joe-St Louis Mo.
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2016, 04:45:51 PM »
THAT'S what I'm talking about, Tom!!! ;D   Great job!  Oh, and for the record, I always use a water pan on butts.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2016, 06:23:14 PM »
Just to keep with your theme.... Nice lookin' butt Tom.  :)
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

40 caliber

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2016, 07:42:11 PM »
Just to keep with your theme.... Nice lookin' butt Tom.  :)

LOL , that is funny bob, no if's ands or Butts!
Tom From NH

coachB

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2016, 08:29:20 PM »
Tom, SF is Sig Forum.  Being in NH I thought you might be into Sigs.  How about the Red Sox?
You are right about the North--they don't know BBQ.  And it isn't even difficult. But what the hell.  Wait till you do your own bacon, both belly and Canadian.  And brisket.  And homemade pastrami.  You'll get spoiled.
Bill from Myrtle Beach SC

40 caliber

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2016, 09:06:51 PM »
Tom, SF is Sig Forum.  Being in NH I thought you might be into Sigs.  How about the Red Sox?
You are right about the North--they don't know BBQ.  And it isn't even difficult. But what the hell.  Wait till you do your own bacon, both belly and Canadian.  And brisket.  And homemade pastrami.  You'll get spoiled.

Thanks Bill, I have tried to love Sigs because I am in the state of NH and thought it would be cool to have a home grown carry piece. I guess I am just a Glock guy however.

I am looking to my next big challenge, Brisket is  on the list someday
Tom From NH

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2016, 11:07:42 PM »
Nice pork butt, do two next time :D
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA