Author Topic: does the butt go in tonight or tomorrow?  (Read 2325 times)

40 caliber

does the butt go in tonight or tomorrow?
« on: April 30, 2016, 07:42:06 PM »
Ok  I am confused. I have a 7.5lb boneless butt ready to go for pulled pork. (no bone ins were available).
I have it marinating in the DM brine for 15 hours.
I have read if you brine it can be done in less time . (7-8 hours?). I hear a 7lb butt could take 15 hours.

the question is
1. do I put it in this evening around 11? or will it be overcooked by 7am when I get to it?
2. do I put it in 5am sunday or will I be smoking sunday night till midnight? I need to go to work tomorrow!

let me know your expert thoughts
Tom
Tom From NH
My two favorite things are  my Victory Motorcycle riding the tail of the dragon. and making the CUE!

40 caliber

Re: does the butt go in tonight or tomorrow?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 07:47:23 PM »
oh yea, and I am going for pulled pork,

do I need a water pan with a butt? I used it for the ribs
Tom From NH
My two favorite things are  my Victory Motorcycle riding the tail of the dragon. and making the CUE!

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 08:37:25 PM »
Tom, I would put it in tonight late. Figure 1.5 - 2 hrs per pound. Put it in at 235 and pull it at 190 IT. You will be fine. Oh yeah, if you have a digital controller, you can make the last program to be set to 140 and you have an instant hold if it is finished while you nap.  :)
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

40 caliber

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 08:45:27 PM »
Tom, I would put it in tonight late. Figure 1.5 - 2 hrs per pound. Put it in at 235 and pull it at 190 IT. You will be fine. Oh yeah, if you have a digital controller, you can make the last program to be set to 140 and you have an instant hold if it is finished while you nap.  :)

Thanks Bob, I just received my 3D but I am cooking this in my 2. the 3d just got seasoned and I am trying to make sure I understand it first. I figured I would go with old tried and true. until I have the other figured out.
1.5-2  hours is about 10 hour to 14 hours. I've had a long day, let's see how late I can hang in there!
Tom From NH

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 10:56:53 AM »
Can't wait to see the results Tom! We all live vicariously here...  ;D
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN