Author Topic: pork butt rule of thumb for serving  (Read 2943 times)

40 caliber

pork butt rule of thumb for serving
« on: April 19, 2016, 07:45:10 PM »
so i know on Turkey , a good rule of thumb is 1/2 pound of turkey per person. That means if you have 10 people for dinner a 5-6 pound turkey is a minimum size.

what is a good rule of thumb? if I do a 10lb butt and turn it into pulled pork, how many people could that feed?  we are planning a big summer outing and I am thinking through what to cook.

what  are your thoughts?
Tom From NH
My two favorite things are  my Victory Motorcycle riding the tail of the dragon. and making the CUE!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: pork butt rule of thumb for serving
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 08:47:43 PM »
what is a good rule of thumb? if I do a 10lb butt and turn it into pulled pork, how many people could that feed? 

Precisely 3....Me, myself and I! ;) ;D ;D

All kidding aside... A 10 lb butt will probably cook down to around 6 lbs of actual meat.  When pulled, it expands, so pulled pork is the perfect meal to serve a crowd, due to the "bonus meat" effect!  I've taken cooked 9-10 lb butts to the office, several times, and fed 12-14 people lunch off of it, usually with a little left!  Add a bun, sauce and sides, and you'll find your pulled pork goes a really long ways!  It's great to feed a crowd!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 08:53:32 PM »
+1 a 10 lb butt will be easy 15 people.  Use sliders instead of kaiser rolls and it goes far.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

40 caliber

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 04:55:41 AM »
excellent  and great idea,
thanks guys !
Tom From NH
My two favorite things are  my Victory Motorcycle riding the tail of the dragon. and making the CUE!

es1025

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 09:42:05 AM »
Potato slider rolls are terrific.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 07:59:24 PM »
A favorite of my victims, er, "guests," is pulled pork tacos!  Tortillas, pulled pork, shredded cheese, BBQ sauce, and anything else they want in there (lettuce, tomatoes).  These are light and great, and really make the pork go a long way!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Limey

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2016, 10:59:22 PM »
Tony, you forgot the refried beans!
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2016, 11:08:18 PM »
Tony, you forgot the refried beans!

Nah...we weren't discussing sides! ;)   They are also good to add, if you have room!
Tony from NW Arkansas

Limey

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2016, 11:23:11 PM »
My refried beans go in first, followed by the pulled pork, cheese, salsa, lettuce, jalapenos etc. Different layering techniques give different flavour/mouth feel sensations. Try it-you might like it.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.