Author Topic: No Peek Ribs - first attempt  (Read 3156 times)

40 caliber

No Peek Ribs - first attempt
« on: April 10, 2016, 05:13:34 PM »
So I have been using the 2-2-1 method for my baby backs for a while. after suggestion by Tony (DM) to try the No Peek I gave it a shot!. I had prepared some Ribs for work using 2-2-1 on Saturday. after the 4 racks were smoked, I said, why not?   Sunday morning I ran out and got the ribs
1. used the mustard binder.
2. put some honey on top of the ribs.
3. added some Killer Hoggs rub. (I love watching Malcom Reed Youtube videos).. 
4. let them sit for about 20 minutes while I got everything ready (I know tony, overnight but it was a last minute thing!)
5.  in at 940 am with a water pan and I went on about my sunday chores
6. Pulled at 2pm and they were ready! juicy, and ready. I didn't expect the honey to make it for the 4 hours but it did!

I can say I like the 2-2-1 and lazy cue. I am not sure which way I will go in the future, maybe both! I need to see if doing 3,4, 5 racks of no peek get me to the same place as the 2-2-1. if so, I am sold
Let' s hear it for lazy cue!

pics before and after!

Tom From NH
My two favorite things are  my Victory Motorcycle riding the tail of the dragon. and making the CUE!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: No Peek Ribs - first attempt
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 05:57:19 PM »
The ribs look pretty darn good.

What temp did you smoke at?

Typically Baby Backs take 5-6 hours and Spare Rib/St Louis cuts take closer to 6-7 hours. But, this is a subjective number as the ribs are done when they get to the point that you like them done.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 07:23:29 PM »
Looks like a great success to me!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

40 caliber

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 09:03:23 PM »
it's an analog SI2. I had set it for 235 (just like Tony's step by step ribs sticky says to).  I know it had a couple high peaks to 250 and swung down. Since they were no peek, I left and didn't spend anytime watching what happened.

there was only one rib in there on the second shelf from the top. it was cut in half and in the middle/little front of the rack.
I was surprised too when I went in at 4.5 hours but  the bones were pulling clean and the toothpick went through easy. and the taste was awesome !!!

I love the killer hoggs rub no matter what I put it on. (no I am not related nor do I get a commission if you were curious)  :)

Tom From NH
My two favorite things are  my Victory Motorcycle riding the tail of the dragon. and making the CUE!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 12:40:02 AM »
Sounds like it was a winner.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 12:24:26 PM »
Well Tom, you just experienced the joy of Lazy Q!  :D
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

Creolo25

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 07:16:50 PM »
That looks great Tom, I'm glad to hear that the honey turned out good on the Ribs. I might have to give it a try with the killer Hogs rub.
Richard in MD

es1025

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2016, 09:50:47 AM »
No peek is a great technique. Its almost foolproof. Produces geeat results.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?