Author Topic: We like BBQ. We like fishing. What about guns?  (Read 66032 times)

RG

We like BBQ. We like fishing. What about guns?
« on: June 13, 2015, 03:50:44 AM »
In true 'Murica form, I am now a gun owner. Some of you may not have a gun, some of you may have many. I have NEVER owned a gun until yesterday. I have shot guns but not in a very long time and when I did they were rifles. I've never fired a handgun, other than a BB gun, lol. My Dad is down visiting and he is Ex-Marine and owns 16 guns or so. He's a gun connoisseur I guess you could say. He tried to give me a gun last year on a visit down and I didn't take it. Yesterday as soon as I got home from work, he takes me outside to show me the 3 guns he brought on his road trip and makes me take one! He has a multiple conceal and carry permits that allow him to travel through most states with a weapon, legally. He lives in SC and I in GA but the 2 don't recognize each others permit, lol. Politics! He had to get one from AZ as it is recognized in GA and I think 7 other states. Weird.

Since I got the gun for free I figured I'd order a laser sight, just for the gadget freak in me, as well as 2 more mags, a speed loader, and a nice holster and a handle extender as it's a little wee fella. It's a Beretta Nano 9mm so it'll be a good gun to carry once I get my permit. You may be asking why the change of heart? Well, in short, the world is crazy. Recently in my area, some nut job came into a local convenience store/package store/check cashing place and opened fire. He killed the owner and a customer and was firing at more and would've most likely killed several more if it hadn't been for a patron being armed and shooting at this guy to make him get out of the store and flee. He later was killed by police in a stand off. As my Dad says, it's better to have it and not need than to need it and not have it.

I have converted. I now don't feel safe and I want to be able to protect myself and family. I am also going to install an alarm on my house after threatening to do it for 10 years, lol. I have a dear friend who is a cop and he's been telling me for the longest to get myself a weapon. Some will say get a shotgun, he always said to get a pistol, easy to hold, easy to use. Point, aim for the core, shoot. My Dad says the same thing. He said don't shoot to injure, you don't want to give the intruder/bad guy any chance to shoot and kill you. Once you make that crucial decision to fire, you must make it count. Nobody WANTS to shoot anybody but if put in that spot then you have to be the quicker one on the draw.

Aside from the protection stance of owing a gun, I do think it will be a fun hobby. I went to Wal-Mart yesterday and bought some ammo, a cleaning kit and a fishing pole (see, I like fishing too Dave, lol) but it turns out I have to return the ammo because the dang gun range won't let you use Tula Ammo as it's a metal case, not brass. Bummer, it was cheap by comparison.

If this goes well, if my wife likes to shoot it, I am going to buy her a 380 that she can keep in her purse, or get her a little concealed holster. They make pink guns, which she is sure to like, lol. That cracks me up but I can see why they do it. Pretty smart marketing if you ask me. So, now that y'all have read my small book about guns, what do you guys have? Tell me about your experience. Is it addictive as my Dad tells me it is? Am I going to the "poor house" by getting into the hobby? :)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 03:53:42 AM by RG »

OFFSHORE GINGER

Re: We like BBQ. We like fishing. What about guns?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 09:43:24 AM »
Good for you and to tell you the truth even though I own a few Rifles and Shotguns ( one pistol ) my wife and I have also been toying with the idea of getting two 9 MM for protection and getting a concealed pistol / weapons  permit , along with taking a coarse or program that is certified by the State of Mich .   
[I[I .............

RG

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 10:01:27 AM »
I am going to a local gun range on Wednesday and will look to see what courses I can find. I am looking forward to it! I have a good friend who owns a Pawn Shop and sells lots of guns, I am sure I'll be seeing him more often now ;)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 01:02:22 PM »
Congrats on the big step, Jason!  I just finished building an AR-15 from an 80% lower receiver (actually not considered a "firearm" until you finish milling the trigger well out of the receiver).  Fun little project!

Let me give a little advice, from someone who has shot for over 40 years, both military and law enforcement, police sniper school grad, and certified law enforcement firearms instructor:  Train, train, and then train some more!  Going to the range, occasionally, for a little "plinking" is one thing; carrying is a whole other animal.  Not only do you need to become very proficient in the actual use of the firearm, you also need to be proficient in the carry and deployment, should the need arise.  Too many new CCW holders are poorly trained, and never practice, which actually increases the danger of the wrong person getting shot in a "real world" encounter.

Your local range or gun store should be able to recommend a good instructor.  Try to find one that specializes in concealed carry, learn, and then practice as much as possible!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

OFFSHORE GINGER

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 04:01:31 PM »
I am going to a local gun range on Wednesday and will look to see what courses I can find. I am looking forward to it! I have a good friend who owns a Pawn Shop and sells lots of guns, I am sure I'll be seeing him more often now ;)
RG , I think most states require a coarse and like Tony mentioned carrying a concealed weapon is a whole other animal and practice makes perfect for that out of the blue situation when it could be your life  His or Her . Tony , nice work on the AR-15 .
[I[I .............

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2015, 04:09:15 PM »
Thanks Artie!  Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but all functions seem to be perfect!  Hopefully, next weekend will be it's maiden voyage.  It's a simple one - just a patrol carbine.  I don't need all the fancy crap they put on them now - good ol' peep sights and a carry handle. 
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2015, 04:15:39 PM »
Let me give a little advice, from someone who has shot for over 40 years, both military and law enforcement, police sniper school grad, and certified law enforcement firearms instructor:  Train, train, and then train some more!  Going to the range, occasionally, for a little "plinking" is one thing; carrying is a whole other animal.  Not only do you need to become very proficient in the actual use of the firearm, you also need to be proficient in the carry and deployment, should the need arise.  Too many new CCW holders are poorly trained, and never practice, which actually increases the danger of the wrong person getting shot in a "real world" encounter.

I could not agree more. I have a 1911, a Mossberg .410 pump for my wife, and a SIG 556R in 7.62X39.  I bought it when the current administration was bent on banning a lot of weapons. Bought it because I can, not because I needed it. Bought it because I like clinging to my Bible and guns.  Someday, I will head for the range and burn ammo. Until then it stays locked in the safe with the 1911 seeing daylight and targets on a regular basis as well as being with me when I travel.  I have taught my son and daughter-in-law how to safely handle it, load it, shoot it and hit what they aim at. Very rewarding. But it is an awesome responsibility not to be taken lightly.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

coachB

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2015, 04:37:47 PM »
+1 to Dave and other comments regarding handling, usage, and deployment proficiency.  With the state the USA is in today being prepared is the smart move.  Additionally, when a person gets older they are not in the same condition to physically protect themselves and subsequently become targeted more frequently.  Being prepared to protect yourself also involves situational awareness.  Be aware of your surroundings.  And if you get a carry permit, then carry.  Always.  Even at home.  Do not leave your weapon at home because "it's just a quick trip". 
Bill from Myrtle Beach SC

OFFSHORE GINGER

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2015, 04:55:23 PM »
Tony , it sure is funny how much everything has changed considering when I first started shooting ( 13 or a we bit younger ) my father was in charge of the Navy gun team and the only weapon or weapons that really were used at the time was the M-1 , 45 ,or a match rifle for those who had a little more money to spend  .
[I[I .............

gatorb

• Smokin-it ??
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2015, 05:58:23 PM »
Great Advice Tony, And I like the AR, RG check out the sig P238 nice and dependable when looking at buying your wife one. And as the others have said you can't practice to much.
gator

All Points In U.S.

slojoe

• Retired and lovin it
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2015, 06:16:55 PM »
I need to point out the obvious, all you gun folks should be members of the NRA, they're the ones that'll make sure you can keep them, Life membership should be considered by all Americans
Joe, Smokin on #2, Navy Vet., Life NRA

RG

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2015, 06:48:31 PM »
In GA you don't need to go through a course to get a concealed weapons permit. I will look into a course as I mentioned above but I can tell you that I am pretty competent and have common sense. I have a friend that is a competitive shooter, and another one that is a trick shooter and runs a pawn shop. I'll check with them on a good course to take. Should be fun!

Limey

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2015, 07:26:29 PM »
Jason, you might want to look at getting a Florida CCP rather than a Georgia one. It will give you reciprocal rights in some 36 states if you include states like Vermont etc which have free carry. The reciprocal states include Georgia.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2015, 08:22:42 PM »
I need to point out the obvious, all you gun folks should be members of the NRA, they're the ones that'll make sure you can keep them, Life membership should be considered by all Americans

Absolutely!  Been one for a long time!
Tony from NW Arkansas

DivotMaker

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2015, 08:29:25 PM »
I Florida you can take a morning or afternoon class for a concealed weapons permit at most of the places that sell guns.

Greg, I am pretty familiar with these types of courses, and they're like someone who goes to truck driving school to get their commercial driver's license; just enough to pass the test.  At that point, they are not a "qualified" solo truck driver.  The real training, and learning, starts after that and continues forever.  A new grad truck driver still has to drive with a trainer for up to 8 weeks before going solo.  Someone new to firearms should spend much more time than a "morning or afternoon" to learn what it takes to carry a concealed weapon....just saying!  They also need to be mentally prepared for a lethal force encounter, which is not something that can be taught in a few hours.
Tony from NW Arkansas