Author Topic: Mesquite ..................  (Read 9147 times)

OFFSHORE GINGER

Mesquite ..................
« on: June 07, 2015, 12:52:22 PM »
Just curious who uses Mesquite in there Smoke , and could you tell me just what it was you smoked with it ( meat ) along with your overall opinion on the flavor , and just how much wood you used or recommend .................
[I[I .............

Limey

Re: Mesquite ..................
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 02:20:50 PM »
I find mesquite to be a relatively harsh flavour and always cut it with a lot of fruit wood when I use it at all. My wife on the other hand likes it, as I am sure many other people on this forum do. Try it and see if you like it, but be careful not to over smoke with it.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 02:25:04 PM »
I use mesquite for steaks or other beef.   It has a strong smoke flavor so I don't use it for poultry, but it gives steaks a nice smoky flavor.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 03:05:40 PM »
When doing brisket I will add a bit to the mix of wood, it has a nice flavor.

Greg

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 05:36:02 PM »
I only use it when doing chicken and use it as 1/3 my total wood weight, usually with 2 other mild flavors like apple and cherry. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

OFFSHORE GINGER

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2015, 05:51:38 PM »
Wow ................this is really interesting .
[I[I .............

OFFSHORE GINGER

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2015, 06:54:22 PM »
After trying to find as much info as I can on Mesquite and thru your post's I have come to understand that this wood can be a very hardy Smoke maybe more so ................then using Hickory but will be a must try , and with that in mind how much wood ( ounces ) would you use for Ribs ?
[I[I .............

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2015, 07:28:09 PM »
For ribs I use 3 -3.5 oz. of wood total. When I use mesquite in my smokes, I would only make that 1/3 of the wood as others have stated. But if you like a stronger smoke flavor I would go 50/50.

Greg

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2015, 08:21:18 PM »
I think mesquite is stronger than hickory, which is the wood that I prefer for pork.  However, mixing a couple together with mesquite sounds like a winner as well.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Grampy

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2015, 08:25:08 PM »
I use mesquite on all beef smokes. Pecan and hickory for poultry and pork.
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

Limey

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2015, 09:06:00 PM »
I would not use more than one ounce of mesquite for ribs, but you need to experiment and find out what works for you.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2015, 10:00:00 PM »
I love mesquite on beef, especially.  Personally, I don't find it "stronger" than hickory, just "different."  Wood smoke flavor is so subjective!  Everyone raves about apple wood smoke, but I don't like it.  People say "hickory is too strong;" but, if I had only one wood I could ever smoke with again, it would be hickory!  To me, it's BBQ, and what I grew up with!

The only way to judge ANY wood, is to try it yourself and decide.  Opinions vary greatly, and only your palate can be the judge!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

smokeasaurus

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2015, 05:24:36 PM »
When running my offset with mesquite, I add apple (recommended to me by a pitmaster) very nice. In the Smokin-It, I would try a small pc of mesquite and a larger pc of apple. Very nice and good with all proteins........
Got Smoke?
Smokin It #2 and stand
Weber Performer
Weber Redhead
Gabby Grills Santa Maria and Rotisserie
PK Grill
Blackstone 36 inch Flat Top

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2015, 10:24:24 PM »
I have used mesquite chips with chunk charcoal while grilling Steak of beef Burgers. I would not smoke with it. I feel it is to strong of a flavor to be concentrated in a closed environment but on an open grill it is fine.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 08:53:16 PM by Pork Belly »
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

drains

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2015, 02:49:54 PM »
I only use mesquite for short smokes or for cooking steaks. Never on long smokes like a pork butt or brisket as it is just too strong for my tastes. Steaks cooked over a mesquite fire are some of the best I've ever had. The fire gets really hot and Sears the meat quickly locking in the juices and adding a distinctly different flavor from charcoal alone.  I could see mixing a small amount in with other milder woods for smoking but not by itself over a long smoke. Just my 2 cents.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3