Author Topic: 1st Ribs on #2 with Auber  (Read 3534 times)

1stlink

1st Ribs on #2 with Auber
« on: February 16, 2015, 02:59:59 PM »
I bought the Auber controler w/permanent probe and installed it about a month ago. Quality control at Auber is somewhat lacking (see pic) and I was disappointed with the instructions and the format (CD).
Probe install went without a hitch and drilling SS isn't that bad if you drill at a very low RPM. I  got very busy with Condo upgrades, flooring, etc but finally did the auto tune yesterday and plan on smoking some Costco Ribs tomorrow.
I haven't had a problem with smoke belch but since I have this dandy new toy I plan to program it to heat @ 150 for .7 hrs and then step up to 230 for a 5 hour no peek smoke.
I read that my Miss Lilly is already a collectors item so I'll join the crowd and use a mini loaf pan on the deck next to Smoke Box loaded w/apple juice/cider!
Ribs will be prepared later today w/olive oil and Famous Dave's Rib Rub and then wrapped in saran wrap for an overnight rest.
As I mentioned above, the Auber directions were a bit challenging for me but with some trial and error I got through the Auto-Tune and watched it cycle for about 2 hours. My fake meal was 20 lb. landscaping stone, maybe a bit larger/heavier than necessary. I think that I have the hang of it and shouldn't have any problem programming it tomorrow.
As always suggestions and comments are welcome..  ;D

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: 1st Ribs on #2 with Auber
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 07:17:47 PM »
I'm more than a little surprised with that picture, Ralph!  I've not seen anything like that before, and am a little shocked they would ship something that looks like that!

If you run into snags with the programming, let us know!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

1stlink

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 07:59:34 PM »
Thanks for the help offer Tony. Still a newbie here but I've been reading for the last two days about the Alber and smoking in general.
I sent that same picture to The Auber people and their reaction was to have me send it back for a refund. I was not impressed.

DivotMaker

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 08:11:08 PM »
...and their reaction was to have me send it back for a refund. I was not impressed.

A refund or replacement?  And, were you not impressed with the unit, or their offer?
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

1stlink

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 08:24:53 PM »
...and their reaction was to have me send it back for a refund. I was not impressed.

A refund or replacement?  And, were you not impressed with the unit, or their offer?
Their offer: "If you are not satisfied with our products or service, please return this controller back to us for refund." They included an RMA number. This is after I sent the same pic to them with a comment. I thought maybe they had shipped it by mistake.
The unit seems OK other that the graphics as noted in the pic. No real test yet other than auto tune...

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 10:41:34 PM »
Unexpected response from Auber, Ralph.  I'm forwarding this topic to Steve, for his information. 
Tony from NW Arkansas

1stlink

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 05:48:46 AM »
Yes their reaction was more disappointing than their blemished product. If you or Steve would like to see the emails I'll forward them to you. Let me know.
I just have to hope that it doesn't fail during use as I'm very leary of them now..  ???

1stlink

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2015, 02:59:48 PM »
My new Auber PID worked great. After some operator errors were overcome and it settled in on 235, it held for over 3 hours without moving even 1 degree until I opened the door of the #2. I was in total awe as I watched the green burner indicator blink on and off!
Early on it dropped to 220 but that was just part of the tuning process to settle in on 235.
I went for the 1800 watt model hoping for better longevity, less strain, etc. and bought direct from Auber because I wanted the Fixed mount probe.
If I was doing it over I would buy from Steve and order the fixed probe option so as to have the drop-in probe for a backup. Live and learn.
Steve definitely offers superior CS as we all know. I can't say the same for the folks at Auber.