Author Topic: Jerky w/out the jerky dryer  (Read 2909 times)

txchris63

Jerky w/out the jerky dryer
« on: January 13, 2015, 02:21:33 PM »
has anyone done jerky with out the dryer attachment? If so please explain the process. Thanks!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Jerky w/out the jerky dryer
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 04:28:36 PM »
I think it would be hard. In order to do it, you would have to either occasionally or maybe all the time leave the door cracked to let the steam/moisture out. Otherwise, you'll end up steaming the meat instead of drying it.

Another option would be to smoke for 2-3 hours and then move to a dehydrator or your oven on the lowest temp that it can go to dry it out.

Even if you could find a small little box fan or some type of fan that you could lay over the smoke hole that could help pull the moisture out of the smoker that may help. Some have made their own dryers out of computer fans and the like. Essentially that is all the James Jerky Dryers are is a computer fan in a metal tube with a filter.

I haven't tried any of these methods as I do have a dryer, but just trying to give some options.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Jerky w/out the jerky dryer
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 08:12:48 PM »
Yes...once.  The results are not good at all.  If you're going to do jerky or sausage, get a jerky fan.  Makes the process easy and perfect, every time!  You just can't remove enough moisture from these tight smokers without it.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!