Author Topic: How to install a permanent Auber temperature probe  (Read 115774 times)

Big Fish

Re: How to install a permanent Auber temperature probe
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2014, 03:18:49 PM »
Tony, 3/8" or 1/2" or 5/16" hole for the probe - those are the 3 sizes I see posted. What is the correct size for the probe hole (drill bit)?

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2014, 06:51:43 PM »
Tony, 3/8" or 1/2" or 5/16" hole for the probe - those are the 3 sizes I see posted. What is the correct size for the probe hole (drill bit)?

As stated in the original post:

You must drill a 5/16" hole for the probe.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Big Fish

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2014, 06:54:13 PM »
Thanks, I busted out with the calipers...almost done. Just trying to find the spades. Might have to run to the Shack.

DivotMaker

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2014, 07:33:44 PM »
The Shack might even have a 2-blade connector.  I made mine out of wire and connectors because I had them on hand.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Big Fish

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2014, 12:53:36 AM »
I hate buying when I know I got them. They are in the garage somewhere - I put them there when I unloaded my work truck. I'll find them later on down the road. Anyway, waiting for it to auto tune. How long did it take youz guyz? It's been an hour so far the "AT" is still flashing and didn't stop at 140 yet.

Jerz

• Atlanta, GA
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2014, 11:08:09 AM »
NICE!  I haven't been here in a while but was thinking of this forum after I threw a couple of butts on.... so... in your opinion is the auberin worth it?  Can you notice any difference in the end result?
Why reinvent the wheel?  Get yer smoke on....
Smokin' with the Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker for about a year.... Model 3 for a minute... Monitoring with the iGrill with the Android App... :D

Big Fish

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2014, 11:13:10 AM »
I am having a hellova time tuning it. It is not doing what it should be doing as per the instructions. It is getting very frustrating.  :o

DivotMaker

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2014, 04:51:29 PM »
NICE!  I haven't been here in a while but was thinking of this forum after I threw a couple of butts on.... so... in your opinion is the auberin worth it?  Can you notice any difference in the end result?

Hey Jerz, good to see you back!  The Auber, imo, is definitely worth it!  You can achieve the same end results without it, but it adds a level of precision, and customization, that is hard to do with the stock controller.  The 6 programmable steps are incredible!  It makes a great smoker even better.
Tony from NW Arkansas

DivotMaker

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2014, 04:52:03 PM »
I am having a hellova time tuning it. It is not doing what it should be doing as per the instructions. It is getting very frustrating.  :o

What are you having trouble with, Ernie?
Tony from NW Arkansas

Big Fish

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2014, 07:18:13 PM »
I am spending more time in trying to get it to work than I am smoking. The first controller and/or element wasn’t getting the right temp, not getting over 185 degrees. You sent new guts out and the controller is definitely fried. It was like this out of the box – pic enclosed. Okay, then I do the PID bypass – all went well, until I plugged it in. The programming instructions are incorrect or the Auber is a lemon too. My display (on the Auber) never stopped on “AT at 140” (as per your instructions on your site).  When it first started, it was at “AT and 80” flashing NOT “AT and 140” (as per your instructions). When it stopped flashing, it was at “225 and 2.5.” I followed the directions to the “T” – from the initial programming of the PID (CO1…CO2…CO33 blah blah) to simulating a smoke with the bricks, holes not blocked, drip tray in place…yada yada. This is the 4th of July and is the 3rd smoke I had to back out of because of this SI #3. I am very frustrated and have had it with it. Please send an RMA so I can send everything back.

I am returning it. I'm done.

DivotMaker

« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2014, 08:04:35 PM »
I am spending more time in trying to get it to work than I am smoking. The first controller and/or element wasn’t getting the right temp, not getting over 185 degrees. You sent new guts out and the controller is definitely fried. It was like this out of the box – pic enclosed. Okay, then I do the PID bypass – all went well, until I plugged it in. The programming instructions are incorrect or the Auber is a lemon too. My display (on the Auber) never stopped on “AT at 140” (as per your instructions on your site).  When it first started, it was at “AT and 80” flashing NOT “AT and 140” (as per your instructions). When it stopped flashing, it was at “225 and 2.5.” I followed the directions to the “T” – from the initial programming of the PID (CO1…CO2…CO33 blah blah) to simulating a smoke with the bricks, holes not blocked, drip tray in place…yada yada. This is the 4th of July and is the 3rd smoke I had to back out of because of this SI #3. I am very frustrated and have had it with it. Please send an RMA so I can send everything back.

Contact Steve on Monday.  Thanks for stopping by, and good luck to you. 
Tony from NW Arkansas

DivotMaker

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2014, 08:33:11 PM »

For the rest of you out there, let me clarify a couple of things in this posting.  First, I addressed the error of the left window displaying the box temp and "At" when you enter the autotune mode in the "Autotune Instructions" post; this will be corrected shortly, but not today.  It will not initially display 140, but will display the current box temp.  Next, Big Fish mentioned that he was at "225 and 2.5" when it stopped flashing the "At;"  This is about where it should have stopped!  That means it figured-out the settings while it was 2.5 hours into the smoke, at a stable temp of 225.  His misunderstanding that this was, in fact, what he wanted, has led to his frustration and confusion.  I've attempted to reach out to Ernie to help, but there is no reasoning with some people. 
Tony from NW Arkansas

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2014, 10:35:50 PM »
Tony,

I think you have done all you can from a forum perspective. You are to be commended. 

I see Ernie aka Big Fish is a guest now.

Dave
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

DivotMaker

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2014, 10:38:56 PM »
Thanks Dave - that means a lot, coming from you!  Patience only goes so far... ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas

Smokem if ya got em

« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2014, 07:41:17 PM »
Installed the permanent probe this afternoon.  Easy process thanks to all the info and pictures posted here.  Completed the autotune on the Auber afterward.  Ready to go for my next smoke now.  Got a couple turkey breasts I want to try tomorrow.
Dean from SE Michigan

Smokin-It Model #3 Owner as of May 10, 2014