Author Topic: First smoke tomorrow, 2 racks of baby backs!  (Read 9042 times)

Speedy captain

First smoke tomorrow, 2 racks of baby backs!
« on: February 19, 2014, 03:41:50 PM »
Okay, I purchased some all natural, minimally processed, meaty baby backs.  Removed the membrane, purchased some Famous Dave's Rib Rub, on the recommendation of this forum, rubbed em, wrapped em, chilling them til tomorrow.

Any final thoughts??

I'm going to do the set and forget method, not 2-2-1 or whatever. 

We are also huge fans of Montgomery Inn sauce, on the side.

Any tips, tricks, thoughts??

I plan to hang the ribs, and use a water pan to keep the temps and humidity in check.

I'm so excited!!!
Living FREE

Rob from Indianapolis

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: First smoke tomorrow, 2 racks of baby backs!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 04:18:33 PM »
Rob, my only recommendation is lay them flat on the shelves, bone-side down, vs. hanging them.  The heat is much more even, and they'll cook more evenly.  The problem with hanging them is that the bottom is too close to the smoke box (higher heat), and will cook much faster than the tops.  Just my 2-cents...  I can easily fit 3 racks in my #1, so 2 won't be a problem.  Just cut the racks in half.  Other than that, your plan is sound!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Speedy captain

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 04:45:27 PM »
Ahhh sound advice.  Will do!

Living FREE

Rob from Indianapolis

DivotMaker

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 05:29:29 PM »
I've actually never used rib hooks, but that would be my concern.  Maybe someone who has can chime in!  I think the new rib racks that sit on the shelf, with the ribs standing on their sides, would be great, though!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

GeeBee

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 08:55:23 AM »
Hey Rob, I see you like Montgomery Inn rib sauce. Have you tried their recipe for baked beans using their sauce? Killer stuff. If you don't have the recipe, let me know and I'll email it to you. Easy to make and the best in my opinion.
Gary in Hebron, Ohio
#2 with Auber PID and happy about it !

BIG BOB

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 11:29:11 AM »
hey Cap.... let us know how they turn out. I have only 2-2-1 my babybacks ( they were so good i didnt want to change) but i bought the #2 Rib Rack so i will be smoking them without the 2-2-1 method soon! let me know your time involved ( I assume 5-ish hours) and how they turn out.... foiling is great, but a lot of work if you are smoking 4-5 racks.
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

Speedy captain

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 11:31:51 AM »
Hey Rob, I see you like Montgomery Inn rib sauce. Have you tried their recipe for baked beans using their sauce? Killer stuff. If you don't have the recipe, let me know and I'll email it to you. Easy to make and the best in my opinion.

Ahh no I don't have it, but I would appreciate the recipe!!
Living FREE

Rob from Indianapolis

Speedy captain

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 12:52:58 PM »
Ribs went in at noon ET, at 12:45 the temp is up to 207F.  It definitely heats A LOT slower when it has a load of meat and a water pan inside.  BUT, it will also probably retain A LOT more heat.  The temp seems to be rising about 2F per minute right now, so we will be at set temp (240F) shortly.  Ambient temp 60F, calm winds.

I tried to post pics, but the size limit is so restrictive that alas, I cannot.  I even tried using my not so awesome phone camera... still too large.

I read somewhere on the forum where folks were splitting their dowels, so I did that as well.  I am using 3oz of Hickory for this smoke.

Living FREE

Rob from Indianapolis

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 01:41:57 PM »
To resize, I just open the picture up in Microsoft Paint (right-click the pic, and then click Edit), click Resize, and then type in 25 in the Horizontal Resize box, and then click OK. Save the changes and you are good to go.

You may have to choose a different resize number. For my phone pics, 25 seems to result in a perfect sized picture.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 01:44:54 PM »
I use Paint, and resize to 45.  Guess the resize percentage depends on what size the original pic is.  You'll have to play with it to see what size works best.

Oh, and you're making my mouth water by telling us about this at lunch time!!! :o
Tony from NW Arkansas

DiggingDogFarm

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2014, 02:14:50 PM »
You should be able to resize in terms of pixels...that way the image will resize correctly regardless of the original resolution. Try 800 pixels wide to start.

Speedy captain

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2014, 02:50:32 PM »
So the temp swings are smaller than when empty, for sure.  I am not getting any overshooting, but under perhaps.

Set 240, it comes up to about 237F, then drops to 215F and oscillates like that.

Now, I am not at all concerned... I am just noting this for future reference!
Living FREE

Rob from Indianapolis

Speedy captain

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2014, 03:14:54 PM »
I am tempted to, in the future, use the BCS-460 controller and a SSR to regulate the temp of the beast.  I already built a wireless control beer brewing system utilizing the BCS, this would be a cinch!  I could easily set up a wireless temp controller for the SI2
Living FREE

Rob from Indianapolis

Speedy captain

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2014, 06:31:59 PM »
Ahhhhmazing ribs.

Grab a bone, it pulls out clean.  One rack fed my whole family, so I also fed my neighbors!

I'm trying to resize photos so that I can post a start to finish.

So tender, so juicy, just the right amount of chewy bark to create some texture.

I smoked at 240F.  It varied between 217-240F all afternoon.  Smoked for 5.5 hours, using a water pan.  The smoke was perfect, not too much, not too little.

That was an easy smoke!!
Living FREE

Rob from Indianapolis

Speedy captain

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2014, 06:34:38 PM »
Some photos
Living FREE

Rob from Indianapolis