Author Topic: 1st Brined Butt in the #1  (Read 8150 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: 1st Brined Butt in the #1
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2014, 03:14:10 PM »
I'm sure it's totally safe, but I'm a little nervous about heating the plastic bags in boiling water.  I never thought about it until all of the info came out about the chemicals that are released from plastic water bottles that get too hot.  I don't know, probably just an unfounded fear.  That's the only reason I haven't tried it!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Walt

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2014, 03:20:54 PM »
I believe most of these vac sealer systems are set up to be able to use with sous vide.  However I would check the bags you use prior to useing this way.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2014, 04:41:19 PM »
Like Tony said, you will want to check with the manufacturer of your vacuum sealer bags. The Food Saver brand bags that I use list the following on their web page:

FoodSaver® 11 Inch Rolls let you create custom-sized bags to package and protect food and non-food items using your FoodSaver® Vacuum Sealing System. Made from the exact same material as our bags, FoodSaver® Rolls give you great flexibility. Simply cut a piece to your desired length, seal one end, fill, and then vacuum seal. Channels and multi layer construction blocks moisture and oxygen and makes the bags strong enough to simmer and microwave. BPA free.
  • 11" x 16' roll
  • Multi-ply material prevents freezer burn
  • Specially designed channels block oxygen and moisture to maximize air removal
  • BPA free
  • Simmer and microwave safe
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2014, 05:12:16 PM »
There you have the answer, Gregg!  Thanks - guess I could have checked their website! ???   BPA is what I was thinking about!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

drippings

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2014, 12:36:47 AM »
I love the idea for reheating in vac paks and hot water!  I have a vac and plenty of paks, so I will put it to use for reheating.  Thanks.
I guess we can call it sous vidaque!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 12:42:28 AM by drippings »
Jeff from the Space Coast of Florida
SI#2
Auber 1204