Author Topic: 1st Brined Butt in the #1  (Read 8151 times)

1stlink

1st Brined Butt in the #1
« on: February 19, 2014, 01:37:05 PM »
Twin pak of butts, Smoke one and freeze the other. I'm planning on copying Divot's brine recipe. Butt is about 8.6 lbs. 2 part question: I'm looking for guidance for how long to brine in my Jr brine bucket and how long to refrigerate after removing from brine and applying the rub?

My previous 2 butt smokes (9 lbs)took about 16 hours in my #1 so I plan on starting my smoke about 9 PM or so. I need to back schedule from there...

Thanks all

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: 1st Brined Butt in the #1
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 04:09:10 PM »
Hi 1st!

I brine a butt that big for 12-13 hours.  I remove it from the brine, give it a good rinse and pat dry.  Next, slather with yellow mustard and apply the rub.  I leave it on the counter until I get the smoker ready (foil and wood), then straight to the smoker.  I find a longer rest in the fridge isn't necessary after brining.  Simple and easy!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

1stlink

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 05:21:56 PM »
Thanks Tony, I hadn't figured that long for the brine as I guess that I was thinking ribs.. 12+ hours it will be. I'll let you know how it goes, with pics.
My plan is to mix brine tonight, refrigerate overnight, Put Butt in brine early AM, remove 12/13 hours later, rinse, pat dry, rub, and start smoking around 9 PM.

I have to work around a couple of commitments so this smoke may be 1 or even 2 days delayed.. No hurry.

Thanks again for the response...

Ralph

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 10:15:29 PM »
Yay! fun smokes to be had with the brine method. I have done a quick cool on a brine by adding ice to the mix to get it down to temp for placing in the butt. But if you are going to wait to do it then that won't be needed.

Make sure you post up some pics.
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 10:25:26 PM »
Sorry for the delay, Ralph!  Hard to wait for a good smoke like you have planned! :D   Let me know what you think of the pulled pork brine method! 
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

1stlink

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 06:31:13 PM »
Slight delay in game plan.. Brine is chilling now and I'll add the butt in the AM. Start smoking late tomorrow evening. Pic is of my brine ingredients. Secret ingredient is the spiced rum, lol...

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 07:21:53 PM »
Sorry for the delay, Ralph, especially with THOSE ingredients!!  Be sure to post your brine recipe, in the Brine section, for all of us to see! 
Tony from NW Arkansas

1stlink

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 03:41:57 PM »
Long time no post. We have had some Guests from up north come down here to thaw out and I've just been busy doing whatever..
Anyway this butt turned out great, best yet for me but I do not have a lot of experience. The Brine made for a very tasteful and juicy pork butt. I am a true believer in the Brine method of smoking and will continue using my Briner Junior
My smokes continue to take much longer than most I think. This was another 18 + hour butt. I Continue to see smoke coming out the door on both upper corners. I'm wondering how much heat I lose at those points.
As I said above the butt turned out great and we enjoyed a feast that day. HowEver a few days later on Warmup I added some sweet baby Ray's and chicken stock... Big Mistake as the meat turned mushy. Tasted great but didn't have any consistency... I had done that before on previous smokes and did not have the same results as I had with this brined butt. Hmmm.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 03:47:26 PM by 1stlink »

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 07:18:56 PM »
That's a great-looking butt!  To reheat, I like to put just a bit of water in the bottom of a pan, add the pork and simmer slowly until warm.  Works great in crock pot, too!
Tony from NW Arkansas

1stlink

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2014, 07:40:30 PM »
Thanks Tony and I will use your advice for reheats in the future..  ;D

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 08:01:07 PM »
Trial and error, man!  Ruined some good pulled pork in the microwave! :o   Just like smoking it...low and slow is the way to go! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2014, 04:48:57 AM »
What about placing in a vac seal container. Then dropping that in hot water?
Brinkmann '07... Offset '11... Smokin-It '13!!!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2014, 10:21:04 AM »
What about placing in a vac seal container. Then dropping that in hot water?

I have done this and it works awesome. I had some PP that was vacuum-packed and in the freezer. I let it unthaw in the fridge for a day and just threw the whole pack in a pot of water at a low boil. I got busy and kind of forgot about it, so I am not sure how long it was in there, but it came out just as it did when I first pulled it.

In my case I thawed in my fridge overnight because I had time, but I am guessing you could put a frozen vacuum-pack in the water and slowly thaw/reheat as well.

Great suggestion!
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

1stlink

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2014, 10:34:34 AM »
I don't have a Vacuum sealing device yet but you guys just gave me another reason to buy one... Thanks, good idea.. ;D

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2014, 10:44:17 AM »
With all the awesome meats that you are going to be smoking you may need it. There are a few threads that users have created on this board on the different brands and models.

I just have a mid-range Food Saver machine and it works great for what I use it for.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.