Author Topic: DM's All-Purpose Poultry Brine  (Read 17395 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
DM's All-Purpose Poultry Brine
« on: February 10, 2014, 08:18:30 PM »
Here's my poultry brine.  I've been meaning to get this on here...

1 gallon cold water
1 cup Kosher salt
1 TBS granulated garlic
1 TBS onion powder
1 TBS rosemary
1 cup orange juice

The orange juice can be substituted with any acidic citrus fruit juice.  Pineapple juice gives a good flavor also.

I make this up in advance and let it cool to fridge-temp.  Whole chickens get 3-4 hours in the bath, while parts get 1-2 hours.  Depending on the size, a full turkey breast would go longer than 4 hours.

On whole birds (with a cavity), I love to fill that with mirepoix, which is equal parts chopped onion, celery and carrots.  The flavoring goes great with the brine. 

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 04:24:04 PM by DivotMaker »
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
Re: Basic brine for poultry
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 12:02:02 AM »
did you see my turkey brine? works well with chicken as well
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

DivotMaker

Re: Basic brine for poultry
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 07:37:29 AM »
I did see it, Ben, looks great!  I moved it to the Brine section, since it was kind of buried in the poultry section.  This should get it the attention it deserves! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

flying smoker

Re: DM's All-Purpose Poultry Brine
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 09:58:30 PM »
I make this up in advance and let it cool to fridge-temp.  Whole chickens get 3-4 hours in the bath, while parts get 1-2 hours.  Depending on the size, a full turkey breast would go longer than 4 hours.

DM, does the phrase "let cool to fridge-temp" imply you cooked some or all of it?  Your pork brine requires cooking, but I'd didn't see any cooking instructions here.  Seems like a mix, cool, apply, but I wanted to be sure.  You know, assumptions and all...
Deron from SW Tennessee

SI 2
Weber Spirit
Maverick ET-733

DivotMaker

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2016, 12:02:58 PM »
Deron, I don't heat the poultry brine, but let it chill to fridge temp before adding the chicken (since tap water is not below 40°).
Tony from NW Arkansas

flying smoker

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2016, 12:24:30 PM »
Got it.  Thanks!
Deron from SW Tennessee

SI 2
Weber Spirit
Maverick ET-733

Durangosmoker

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2016, 08:17:24 PM »
"On whole birds (with a cavity), I love to fill that with mirepoix, which is equal parts chopped onion, celery and carrots.  The flavoring goes great with the brine."

Tony, do you ever add herbs to the moirepoix? I'm thinking Rosemary, Thyme, and/or Tarragon? maybe up to a teaspoon each for a decent sized chicken.
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2016, 10:22:44 PM »
"On whole birds (with a cavity), I love to fill that with mirepoix, which is equal parts chopped onion, celery and carrots.  The flavoring goes great with the brine."

Tony, do you ever add herbs to the moirepoix? I'm thinking Rosemary, Thyme, and/or Tarragon? maybe up to a teaspoon each for a decent sized chicken.

There are "no rules," when it comes to aromatics, Eric!  Whatever your taste dictates is perfect!  I don't add those to the interior because I often use rubs that incorporate them (too much of a good thing, I guess).  I do like to add apple and/or lemon slices, though!
Tony from NW Arkansas

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2016, 10:58:40 PM »

I usually add rosemary, thyme, sage, apple, and onion to the cavity. Lemon or orange is a plus. But as Tony says, I do not add the herbs to the brine if I add in the cavity.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Durangosmoker

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2016, 12:25:50 PM »
Thanks for the replies, which both make sense.  I was just trying to get more of an herbal flavor into the meat, and was thinking that a rub wouldn't penetrate the skin.  Hadn't thought of the brine carrying the herb flavor, which was a definite brain cramp on my part. Guess I'll just have to smoke a few more birds and figure it out!
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

flying smoker

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2016, 08:13:49 PM »
Tried this brine today.  Substituted oregano for Rosemary (just didn't have Rosemary).  15 medium, skinless breasts.  Soaked for 2 hrs and rinsed.  Used yellow mustard as the binder for KC Butt Rub.  Smoked at 250 until IT of 188 (larger breast), no water tray, no bacon wrap.  2.25 oz of hickory.

Phenomenal results!  Very juicy and excellent smoke/rub combo.  Thank you for your advice DM.
Deron from SW Tennessee

SI 2
Weber Spirit
Maverick ET-733

DivotMaker

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2016, 02:02:08 PM »
Looks great, Deron!  Glad you liked it!  Try it with the rosemary, some time, and let me know what you think.
Tony from NW Arkansas

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2016, 02:05:05 PM »
Smoked at 250 until IT of 188 (larger breast)

165 IT is as high as you need to go with poultry. Sounds like it turned out moist for you though.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2016, 02:05:58 PM »
Smoked at 250 until IT of 188 (larger breast)

165 IT is as high as you need to go with poultry. Sounds like it turned out moist for you though.

+1!  Didn't even catch that, Kari, but would have said the same thing!
Tony from NW Arkansas

flying smoker

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2016, 03:34:00 PM »
Ok.  Thanks for the update.  My Maverick is pre-set to 188 for chicken, so I just rolled with it.  I'll experiment to see where we like the set point.
Deron from SW Tennessee

SI 2
Weber Spirit
Maverick ET-733