Author Topic: My "go to" salmon recipe  (Read 10262 times)

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
My "go to" salmon recipe
« on: December 26, 2013, 12:53:53 AM »
Hello all! Surprised to see not that many recipes on here for Salmon or fish in general. So I figured I would share mine that I have been using for quite some time that the family loves.

Pretty basic dry brine that doesn't require a lot of prep work and much time to brine in the fridge. I can't recall where I found it online but it really doesn't matter since it is completely basic and just works. Feel free to add to yours as you seem fit.

For the brine:
2 salmon fillets (skin on or off, I have tried both and it works fine either way), bones removed
1/2 c granulated sugar (I used sugar in the raw)
1/2 c dark brown sugar
1/3 c kosher salt (I tend to just use sea salt without iodine)
2 tbs crushed black pepper

Instructions
1. Prepare Salmon for Curing: The curing process removes water from the fish, and instead replaces it with the salt and sugar mixture. This adds flavor and also serves to preserve the fish and prevent spoilage.

Lay a section of plastic wrap long enough to wrap the entire fillet. You might need to make a cross to wrap around the second direction tightly. Place on top of foil that is also long enough to wrap the fillet. Spread a thin layer of brine on the plastic wrap around 1/8th inch thick or so. Place fillet over that bed and then cover the surface with approximately the same amount. Making sure to get complete coverage. You may have to add extra to the ends of the fillet to get plenty coverage when wrapping with plastic wrap.

Wrap the plastic wrap and foil tightly around the fish. This will contain any oils or juices that may escape from the curing process. Place on large enough pan to contain the fish and some juices that will escape.

2. Cure the Salmon: Refrigerate the salmon for 4 or more hours depending on thickness of fillets. This might take you a time or two to get a feel for it. I don't recommend any longer than 12hrs though. The thin parts will tend to toughen up a bit but they make for a tasty little snack after trimming off the rest for serving after the smoking.

3. Rinse the Salmon: When the salmon has cured, remove the fish from the fridge and unwrap the foil. You should be greeted to a bright, juicy red piece of fish. Thoroughly rinse off the fish under cold water, making sure to wash off any of the cure that hasn't absorbed into the fish.

4. Dry the Salmon: Allow the fillets to dry at room temperature for one to three hours to form the pellicle. This is a thin, dry, matte-like film on the surface of the fish that helps the smoke better adhere to the meat.

6. Prepare the Smoker: Prepare your smoker as the fish finishes drying. You want your smoker to maintain a temperature of 150-160°F.

7. Smoke the Salmon: Lay the salmon fillets side-by-side in your smoker, skin side down. Depending on how many pounds of fish you're cooking and the thickness of the fish, the smoking process can take anywhere from 1-3 hours. Cooking is complete when the salmon registers 140°F at its thickest point.

8. Rest the Salmon: Once the fish reaches 140°F, take it off the smoker and put it on a baking sheet. Tent with foil and allow the fish to rest for 20-30 minutes. This will allow the finish to warm up another 5 degrees and let the muscles relax and juices to redistribute.

9. Enjoy the Salmon: Finally, remove the tented foil and serve your flaky and juicy creation. The un-seasoned salmon is deliciously mild and delicate, with a clean fresh salmon taste you can only get through smoking.

I use a 2-3oz of apple wood for my smokes. I don't use the cold plate since I am actually cooking the fish. I do place an aluminum pan under the fish with a small amount of water to keep things nice and even. The other part of this recipe called for a rub on top of the fish prior to smoking but I found everyone enjoyed the plain salmon more. So I have excluded it.

Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

cjr71244

• New to Smoking, model 1 owner
Re: My "go to" salmon recipe
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 09:20:40 AM »
great! thanks so much, going to try this soon

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 08:47:12 PM »
I hope you post your results, and of course, hope you like it too
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

Walt

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 03:38:55 PM »
I have a mess of red fish & you got me thinking.....

Just put one in the cure you outlined above & will smoke it later tonight.  Plan on trying it with salmon soon.  I will post results tomorrow.

Thanks for the idea Ben.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Walt

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 08:11:04 PM »
After the cure, put in @ 225 with 2oz cherry.  Took about an hour pulled @ 143.  Nice moderate smoky flavor, with that chewy dehydrated bark & still moist inside.  Works well with redfish (red drum).  Will definately do again.  Thanks Ben!
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

cjr71244

• New to Smoking, model 1 owner
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 10:04:30 AM »
great! now I know what to do when I get some redfish!

Randy

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 05:24:55 PM »
That salmon looks great! Does the fish smell stay in your smoker? Worry about having a permenent fish smell.
If it walks, crawls, slizzers, or even grows from the grownd smoke it.

Walt

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 05:32:07 PM »
I only smoked the redfish once (so far), with no residual smell.  Then again, if it smells fishy it isn't fresh.
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 11:58:16 PM »
Love to see the results and glad that you liked it. My smoker has never had the residual smell of fish ever. Just the smoke. I will try redfish some time soon, looked great. I hope you liked the dry brine I posted.
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

Walt

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 12:58:51 AM »
It was excellent.  Have more made waiting to smoke salmon next time.  Maybe this weekend.
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2014, 01:10:33 AM »
Walt, great to see. It has been a family fave so far and just depending on the thickness of fillets it should take less time overall. I hope that everyone like it. Looks like it nailed it and I am sure that when I try some redfish it will as well.
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2014, 01:12:40 AM »
Seems like someone from LA would have better recipes than me. But who knows. I am glad that you liked that rub and it worked out for you.
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

Walt

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2014, 03:11:21 PM »
We do a lot of cooking down here in south east Louisiana.  We are also quite proud of it.  However, smoking is not a cornerstone for our style of cooking.  I aquired a taste for smoked fish & meets through extensive traveling during my career.  This was a style of cooking that has always intrigued me.  It has been a blessing to find a product & a forum of experienced friendly smokers that make smoking & the learning curve so easy.

Your (as well as many others on this forum) energy & passion shines through your posts.  I would like to thank ALL of you guys for your continued help and assistance.

Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2014, 07:31:21 PM »
Glad to have you here, Walt!  By the way - got that deer meat in the mail yet? ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Walt

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2014, 08:34:41 PM »
Did the salmon yesterday.  Very nice, Ben.  Thanks, again.
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill