Author Topic: Trout  (Read 4868 times)

Muttley

Trout
« on: October 13, 2013, 01:02:58 PM »
So, the kids love trout, salmon, whitefish.  I found whole trout at the market finally. 

Brine:

2 cups water.  2 tbls salt.  1 Tsp favorite seasoning.  I let it soak for two hours.

Into the SI2 whole, skin on at 225 with peach until 145 IT.  Maybe a little over an hour to get there.

Turned out very moist, the good kind of flaky.  Kids loved it.  More cooked than smoked, and smoked it what they are used to.  Any ways, now since I have a local source for trout I might get a little more experimental. 

Sorry, no pics.  It was a dead wrinkly fish, not that exciting. 

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
Re: Trout
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 11:12:11 PM »
Hey Muttley, thanks for the post.

Have you smoked fish and meat in the same smoker (not at the same time) and has the fish smell transfered to the meat?  There was a recent post with very little knowledge on this topic?
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

Muttley

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 06:19:04 PM »
Not that I can tell.  I didn't have the trout in there that long, and it was also a fairly fresh trout, as in, it didn't smell like a fish to begin with. 

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 10:00:07 PM »
Thanks Muttley, I may try some salmon steaks in the very near future.  How much wood did you use?
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 10:21:46 PM »
Trout is definitely not real "fishy" to begin with, so I'm not sure it's a good measure of what really fishy fish do to the smoker environment.  I would do a trout in the smoker, but I'm not sure about some others.  Hopefully, we'll get some more feedback on what happens when you smoke some of the stronger-smelling fishes. BTW - the trout sounds awesome!!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Muttley

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 09:00:27 PM »
Thanks Muttley, I may try some salmon steaks in the very near future.  How much wood did you use?

I just used 1oz of peach, seemed like enough. 

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 10:41:15 PM »
I would have to agree with you on the wood, personally I would use more than 1 to 1.5 oz of wood for any fish.  More than that would be too much for my taste.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It